1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rounds that will fatten up a 'ray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 4Mal, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Well a Peavey Millenium actually but it has a very Ray like vibe...

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Fender Pure Nickels or Roto Nickels.

3. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm generally a fan of stainless steel strings. My go to string right now are Dean Markley Helix HD stainless. Specifically because they are fatter and deeper speaking that a lot of other steel strings. a pretty special low-mid and mid-range. and they have a more natural quality in the highs. Whereas a lot of steels can have an unpleasant spike in the high mids. they are also a little more flexible, due to having a smaller core precentage VS. the wrap.

I like Rotos a lot, too. But despite a fat low end and a special high mid, they have a slinky quality where you can hear the outer wraps on some especially bright basses. I'm not sure I'd like them on a maple board, if that's what you have.

For nickel plated, rotos nickel Swing bass 66 are quite good. If you don't want silk ends, the plain "rotobass" strings are the same/similar string, without silk. Roto's nickel plated strings don't have the outer wrap slinky issue.

I also really like labella's nickel plated. fat and sweet.

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Perhaps trying a coated round like D'Addario EXP's? You get classic roundwound sound, but with less bite.

Honesty, the only way to get more "fatness" or depth from a string is to switch types: going with a flatwound.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Nickel rounds or flats, maybe try sticking a piece of foam down by the bridge.

6. Gwardar

Gwardar Supporting Member

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    +100 to Roto Nickels.

I used them on a Ray for a while and I loved the tone. Never had much luck with flats, they sound great on a P-Bass but I personally hated them on Ray.

Also had some wins with DR Hi-Beams; if you cut the treble they can sound pretty fat.

But Roto Nickels are the winners IMHO

7. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    XL's medium really fattened up my jazz, While keeping enough of the "round sound" But chrome lights on my other jazz 5-er has most of that "round sound" with a really nice growl.

8. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    DR Nickle Lo-Riders. If I have a bass that is too bright those are my go to string. They have a Hex core so they are slightly higher tension. If you want you could use the DR Sunbeams, those are also nickle. They have a Round core so they do not have as high a tension.

9. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    You can always try GHS Pressurewounds. To me, they start out like a well-worn in set of roundwounds, and then mellow a bit more. I've used them quite a bit when playing in smaller groups or theatre pits where I need to have more low end to support the group, but still retain some articulation and tone.

GHS Pressurewound Demo: New / Old Strings

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I put Rotosound Swing 66's on my top-heavy basses.

That, and lower the pickup height as much as possible. It helps.

11. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC

+1 my new favorite

12. Ralphe Armstrong, Nathan Watts or Anthony Jackson.

13. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Intruiging... I'm looking for a particular blend of flat and round characteristics.

I like the midrange response of rounds played near the bridge, the expressive dynamics, and pliable feel. What I miss from flats is:
    - The powerful attack (Like an iron fist in a velvet glove)
    - The strong fundamental
    - The slightly dry sound

Will the pressurewounds give me some of these qualities?

14. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    DR Sunbeams to fatten up any bass (previously strung with steels, that is)

15. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I'd bet Circle K's would complement a stingray really well.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    When I had my Milly, DR Sunbeams were the clear winner for me. Nice and fat, and since the bass is 35" scale the lighter tension and round core feel fantastic.

17. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I think that, once the Pressurewounds settle in, they will give you the tonal qualities you are looking for. At the beginning, they're closer to rounds but that does change, and once they settle, that tone sits there for a loooooong time.

18. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    I put some Fodera nickels on my Stingray today, and what a blast!
    Really fat and even, recommend them!
    Have had Fender flats, TI Jazz rounds and something else on that before... oh yes and TI flats
    Nice for your fingers too.

19. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I use Sunbeams on both of my Stingrays to tame the glass cutting highs and the subsonic lows. A very nice string that is clear and warm (IMO)
    I stopped using Roto's years ago due to fret wear (of the SS versions) and the extra string tension which J basses don't like.
    Perhaps that has changed over the years.

20. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Apr 8, 2013
    Ernie Ball Regulars.:cool: