1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rounds to Tapes on my P Bass - ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I have a silvertone pbass that was the first bass I bought and use for practicing and fooling around. I have EB slinkys on now and have tried flats but didn't like the feel. I have another bass with Fender tapes and I like the feel of them. I'm thinking of switching to get more of the warm sound out of the pbass and to get rid of the clank and noise....what are the biggest changes I'd hear/feel from going to tapes from medium gauge slinkys? good choice or no?

2. I know you specified you don't like how flats feel....but I think it's best to stick with flats on a P bass....it just sounds ridiculous! ;)

I haven't tried tapewounds on my p bass, but I have a set on an ABG, and they feel weird...I don't see them working on my p bass. The things you'll notice sonically is the lack of treble, and increase in thumpy bass, aside from the black look, you'll feel the strings very slick, smooth. I don't see tapewounds on any bass other than my ABG. But that's me....I would stick to some Daddario Chromes.

3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
  4. I definitely like that sound and they're so easy on the fingers, have zero fret buzz/clank, and they just seem to work well for anything. I've played AC/DC with em and have have a nice roundness to them and played country and they have that nice thump as well. Thanks for the link on that!

5. Anyone else using tapes on a p?

6. Yeah, I use tapes- Labella - on my P bass sometimes. I've got year old rounds on it now- which dont sound too different from the tapes- as they're full of sweat,dirt & gunk... But I LOVE the tapes on the P bass. Just as much as flats.
    I've got a same set of tapes on my '77 Gibson G3 at the moment & used it last night at a gig. Surprising how BRITE the tapes can actually be. I was doing some -LARRY GRAHAM -Sly & Family Stone stuff- Thank you (falletinme be mice elf again & Take U higher etc..) & got a great pop & funk tone.
    On a GIBSON bass too!!! ;-)

7. I just love the feel anx ease of playing..so easy on the fingers

8. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I have a set of Fender tapewounds on a Precision. They're a little rougher than other tapes; brighter too.

I also have a set of Rotosound Tru-Bass 88 tapes on a Precision. They're great! Very smooth to the touch. They have a mellower tone than the Fender 9120s - although the 88s - they can get bright sounding too if you need it. But if you ever try the 88s - you'll likely have to have your nut widened - they're fat strings!

Overall I think tapewound strings are well suited to a Precision.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've got them on a variety of basses, closest to a P is my Squier TB bass, with the mudbucker.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I honestly didn't hear a lot of difference between nickel rounds and Fender tapes. The attack was slightly less metallic and they were a little bit quieter for finger noises. Otherwise, not the drastic difference I expected. Some might see it as more drastic than me, but I think if you want rounds that are less prone to finger noise and you like the Fender tapes already, might as well give them a shot on the P.

11. I think what I'm looking for is a similar sound to broken in rounds. I like the sound of my pbass with old EB slinky's on it but don't like the "clank" and noise of them. I love the feel of the tapes so I think I'm gonna grab a set and try em...