1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roundwound Flatwound Groundwound ? what's the differnce?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by terms bassist, Aug 15, 2001.

1. this is probably an easy question for most of you but I have no Idea I've never come across anyting in my local store but roundwounds. I sort of understand the differnce between roundwound and flatwound, but what is groundwound and what sort of style are they suited to?

2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Ground-roundwound (GRW) strings started life as larger RW strings, and were then had the outside ground smooth. FW strings are built of a core that is wrapped with flat metal tape (which doesn't bend very well so poor sustain).

GRW sound a lot like RW without so many highs, and little finger noise. I find they sound very "clean" and cut thru a mix fairly well, while FW did not for me. They sound like dead RW strings that then hold the same tone for years.

According to a local poll, I'm in the 2% that likes them. I play classic rock, but I think they are suitable for anything that doesn't require a lot of slap/pop work or extreme highs.

If you want to experiment with GRW, try GHS Brite Flats; abour $28 from www.juststrings.com .

3. I use D'Addario half-rounds (same as ground-wounds) and D'Addario and Fender flat-wounds.

If your looking for solid thump, low sustain, and not a lot of highs (treblely tone subdued), the flats are the best way to go. I have them on my AmStd P-Bass and won't run anything else on it.

If you, like me, can't stand the high trebly content of round-wounds, the high finger noise of round-wounds, or the sandpaper feel of roundwounds, then try the half-rounds. They are a good compromise. I use them on my AmStd J-Bass and really like them.

Many like round-wounds which explains why there are more versions of round-wound strings than the others. However, there are enough of us who don't that various manufacturers produce the flats and half-rounds.

I've tried almost every brand available at one time or another, and for my money, D'Addario and Fender produce the best flats, D'Addario the best half-rounds.

Invest some money, try them out. Everyone likes a little different sound and feel, so, only you can make the final determination for you.

Good Luck.