roundwound/halfwound/flatwound HOW DO THEY SOUND!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Aug 3, 2001.

1. how does each differ from each other and is there a difference in stainless and nickel strings?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Roundwounds are brighter than flats and thats the extent of my knowledge but your posts is bumped up the top.
  3. can anyone else help???!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. IME strings are pretty much a personal preference. If you want to try out different strings, try to buy via the internet... you won't have to shell out $30 bucks for something you may not like... I've hunted around and found some for $12...
  5. dude i'm not asking for your opinion im asking for the general sound of each kind.
  6. In that case, I agree. Roundwounds are brighter then flats.

Here's another fact: roundwounds have more sustain.
  7. I tried out a bass this weekend that had some flats on sounded kewl but at the same time strange.....not sure if that makes sense.In a word?Thumpy I guess.I`m not really familiar with them,but I have been told they sound good but tend to get lost in the mix i.e. w/ other instruments.If you listen to many vintage recordings they all used flats.Another thing.....they say flats are not very well suited to slapping.

Hope this helps a little bit.
  8. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Flats have the least sustain because of the way they are built; they are not very flexible.

Rounds and ground-rounds sustain the same because their underlying construction is the same.

Flats are "dark" (that is, having very few high frequencies coming off them) and so would suck for slap/pop. Ground-rounds have *more* highs but still would be a weak choice for more than occasional fills like that. Flats and ground rounds sound the same for most of their life; they don't get any more "dead".

Flats make very little fingernoise, but are not that popular live because the mids that really cut thru in a live sound mix are not there. Grounds rounds are better in this respect, but still weaker than rounds. But, either of these strings has huge attack, because you have more metal in the string than in a roundwound of equal outside dimensions.

Rounds are hard on fingers, frets, and fingerboards.

It's completely personal preference and what works with your musical style. Most of the hits of the 60's were recorded with flats and a pick. I suspect Chilli Peppers stuff would sound pretty poor with anything but bright roundwounds.
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Roundwounds - bright, versatile strings. Different brands sound different, of course, but a few generalizations can be made. New basses commonly come with nickel roundwounds. Stainless strings have a brighter, "cleaner" sound, while nickels are "warmer".

Halfrounds - these start life as roundwounds, and are ground flat on the outer wrap. They have some of the "ring" of rounds, but are not nearly as bright. They feel much smoother to the touch, and have almost no finger noise.

Flatwounds - again, different brands sound different, but flats are generally thumpy and warm, with less treble and a very different sound from rounds. If you listen to songs where Joe Osborn, James Jamerson, and Steve Harris play, you'll hear three very different tones, but all on flatwounds.
  10. DeepDeath, i understand you play death metal. DEFINATELY go with rounds.
  11. if i go with rounds why would it be good for death metal?
    shouldnt i use flats since in dont want finger noise and i want a deep non-high sounding tone? i finger
  12. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    The only solution is to buy (or borrow) a set of each type and see what you like best. Once you find the style of string you like you can start looking for specific models of that type.

I think all types of strings have been used by professional players in just about any style imaginable.