Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RoundWound or Flatwound.. other?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lady Jayde, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    What is the most prefered type of string?.. At the moment I use Ernie Ball Slinky RoundWound.. but i'm looking to make a crappy bass sound better.. Well crappy bass and amp. but i just need some input..

2. ernie balls are fine strings. changing brands won't make your "crappy" bass sound much better. you'd either want to change pickups or get a decent preamp for that.

if you don't have the money, i'd recommend learning how to use your EQ. spend some time playing with it, finding out what sounds you like. and switch between pick and fingers, that makes a drastic difference in sound and you may prefer one over the other.

3. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I'm not sure i have EQ for my amp or bass.. both were severly cheap and i may need to get a better one soon. Just for home use.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Your rig looks somethin' like the one below?

"EQ" is the tone control(s) on your bass and/or amp.
    The one on the bass is probably the knob in the middle.
    The amp should have some controls labelled "bass", "treble",
    etc. That's what DHC's talkin' `bout.

[​IMG]

5. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    well yeah... that would be my setup.. Thnx for the info.. i'll start messing around with it next time i play on it.