Roundwound or Flatwound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass_player_cd, Feb 19, 2002.

1. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    What is the difference between them? both how they sound and are made. Which one would you say is better for heavier music like rock-heavy metal. I want to try the D'addario nickel roundwound but I dont know if there the strings for my sound. What would you prefer.(i play a Washburn rb4000 bantam if you need to know.)
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are a lot of threads on this and similar topics, so I'd suggest you do a search.

That said, many metal and hard rock guys play roundwounds because they usually seem to have a brighter sound. Even so, I'm pretty sure that Steve Harris, of Iron Maiden fame, uses flats.

You'll have to experiment, though, to see what works best for you.;)
  3. yes, steve harris of iron maiden uses flats on a Fender p-bass with a BaddassII bridge and a SD Quarter pound pickup. The scooped and agressive character of the QP (which i dont like on roundwounds) plays well with the warmer flatwounds IMHO.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Flatwounds were all there was until the late 1960s. Listen to old rock and pop from the 60s (Motown, Beatles, Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.) to hear the flatwound sound.

Roundwounds pretty much took over during the 1970s. For most modern rock and roll and slap sounds, you want roundwounds. Guys like Steve Harris are the exception.

Flatwounds still work well for blues, reggae and anywhere where you want a super deep sound without a crisply defined high end.
  5. IMO, flats RULE with a pick. Try them, seriously. They sound fat as hell, but with extra "snap" to them without having too much highs.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    one of the things you may want to look for when choosing flats is string tension. flats are pretty odd when it comes to tension. they can be really tight, or really loose. i kinda prefer strings with lower tension-the thomastik-infeld strings are probably about the lowest tension you can get, and the best sounding, imo. you're going to pay for them, though. best place to get them is from steve barr at the dude pit. he also posts here as "the dude." and yes, there are several threads on this. check 'em out. :D