1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

roundwound recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Odonian, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    Hello, I currently love the sound of my DR sunbeams, but i miss the stiffness of flats. Anyone have recommendations for a similar sounding string that is stiffer feeling? Ideally in the same price range, bonus points for easily available, I prefer not to order online unless I have to.
    I am playing a Modern Player Jaguar with Dimarzio model P and area J pickups through a Peavey Pro Bass 500 head and a Peavey BWX 1x15, current sound palette was tweaking my amp to mimic the bass sound on Something I Learned Today from Husker Du's Zen Arcade as a starting point and then tweaking from there to make it suit my band better.
    All of that about my gear is probably irrelevant to the question I asked but, figured I'd include it just in case it makes a difference in recommendation.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you don't wanna order online then you'll have to tell us what your local stores have in stock.

Or you could order heavier gauge sunbeams from bassstringsonline and probably end up with strings that are exactly what you want.

Odonian likes this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Maybe DR Lo Rider nickels? Sunbeams are round core while Lo Riders are hex core. They'll still be more flexible than flats, but it will be a big move in that direction.

And I, pbass2 and Odonian like this.
  4. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    there's honestly not much locally, fender strings, ernie balls, some ghs, dean markley, rotosound and d'addario. if I need to order online I will but if something from on of those manufacturers will get me where I wanna go I'll run with it.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sunbeams are unique. I've never seen a store carry anything but the 105 set. That's probably what you have now. If you really like them but want them stiffer than a heavier set would be perfect.

Odonian likes this.
  6. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    I don't think I've used any hex core strings but I'm not totally sure, gonna do a little research on the differences.

7. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    I'm currently using the 110 set from bass strings online, I may just have to work on developing a softer touch to keep these running if they are truly that unique sonically, I shouldn't really be surprised since the massive boasting about how great they sound was why I wanted to try them.

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    For round wounds, if you want "stiff", you pretty much need strings with a hex core - like the Lo Riders Lee Moses mentioned. GHS strings are mostly hex core also, IIRC. I have their Bass Boomers on some of my basses for that reason - well, and because I like the sound, too...;)

Odonian likes this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    90% of the strings out there are hex core, so I'll bet you have. Pretty much anything outside of any of the DR 'Beams' or Fodera strings is going to have a hex core, for the most part.

Lee Moses likes this.
  10. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    Good to know.
    When i was playing a lot before in 05-08 or so i played whatever i could afford (whatever was cheapest) with little concern for tone as i had a muff turned up full bore all the time, these days i play with just a little dirt and actually think about my strings, gettin old i guess ;)

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Here's the easy answer. Dunlop Marcus Miller Super Bright SS. They are stiffer than regular SS Super Brights.

12. Are you actually saying the Dunlop MM sound similar to the DR Sunbeams? I'm not so sure about that.

Lee Moses likes this.
  13. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    I was in the same spot and tried out some of the hex cores. I hate them. Nothing sounds like DR...and nothing sounds like Sunbeams

14. Fodera Nickels are also round core, but from what I've been reading, they're not quite as flexible as the Sunbeams.

15. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I also LOVE DR Nickel Lo Riders. And I like solid feeling, stiffer strings too (most of my basses have Labella flats and I like that kind of tension).

16. From what I've read about the Sunbeams (warm, not too bright), I'd agree with any Lo-Rider recommendation (Nickel or SS). Based on my belief of what Sunbeams sound like, I'd say the MM Dunlop Super Brights would likely not be a similar string (as much as I love them).

jayregis and Odonian like this.
  17. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I play Sunbeams and got a set of Nickel Lo Riders and didn't like them because they were too stiff. Might be just what you're looking for.

mouthmw and Odonian like this.
  18. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Big Core Bass
    ghs_tapercore.

19. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    DR Lo Riders are the stiffest roundwounds I've used, stiffer than D'Addario or Ernie Ball or Dunlop etc. I don't like it anymore (and I break them) but I don't dig too low tension either. Perfect tension for me ended up being EB Super Slinky (45-100). Check out Lo Riders. Stiff stuff.

Odonian likes this.
  20. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    "Stiffness" is a lot less stiff when you're talking DR than when you're talking GHS.
    Stiff = (Nickel) Lo-Riders. Stiffer = GHS Boomers.

Odonian likes this.