Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roundwound sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scottie, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Ive been playing bass for about 8 years or so now, and I have never once in my life used roundwound strings.

Now, being the ever so curious musician, I Was wondering what kind of sound could I get from them on a Fender P Bass, as compared to my flatwounds (ernie balls, 105s).

I play it with a pick usually, so what sound might I get. We play mostly country rock/bar band rock (stones, faces)/country (old country). So could this be beneficial? Will they sound alot different? Will they be harder/easier/different to play, or will I be able to tell a difference on that front?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Huge difference in tone and feel. You can pick up a set of Ernie Ball rounds for cheap, give them a shot! Expect a much brighter tone and more sustain.

That being said I recently made the switch to flats on my P after a decade of rounds, and well, I should've done that years ago. ;)

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Given the type of music you play, you probably have the sound you need right now, but it never hurts to experiment. As nad said, expect a brighter tone, and they might be a little easier to play. In general, flats have higher tension than rounds of the same gauge.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have roundwounds on my Fender P-Bass.

For an idea of sound...play Head East's "Flat as a Pancake" album. THAT is the sound you'll get (for the most part).

It will give more of a Chris Squire brightness, only without the Ric tone. It's bright, but still with plenty of bottom end (from the P-Bass).

If you want the flatwound sound, cut the tone control back a bit and mute the strings slightly. I can get a perfect flatwound sound this way, but then I also have the "bright" sound that I can't get from flatwounds when needed.

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    getty lee and john entwistle use roundwounds.
    It's that piano sound.

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Geddy