roundwound sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scottie, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Ive been playing bass for about 8 years or so now, and I have never once in my life used roundwound strings.

Now, being the ever so curious musician, I Was wondering what kind of sound could I get from them on a Fender P Bass, as compared to my flatwounds (ernie balls, 105s).

I play it with a pick usually, so what sound might I get. We play mostly country rock/bar band rock (stones, faces)/country (old country). So could this be beneficial? Will they sound alot different? Will they be harder/easier/different to play, or will I be able to tell a difference on that front?
  2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Huge difference in tone and feel. You can pick up a set of Ernie Ball rounds for cheap, give them a shot! Expect a much brighter tone and more sustain.

That being said I recently made the switch to flats on my P after a decade of rounds, and well, I should've done that years ago. ;)
  3. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Given the type of music you play, you probably have the sound you need right now, but it never hurts to experiment. As nad said, expect a brighter tone, and they might be a little easier to play. In general, flats have higher tension than rounds of the same gauge.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have roundwounds on my Fender P-Bass.

For an idea of Head East's "Flat as a Pancake" album. THAT is the sound you'll get (for the most part).

It will give more of a Chris Squire brightness, only without the Ric tone. It's bright, but still with plenty of bottom end (from the P-Bass).

If you want the flatwound sound, cut the tone control back a bit and mute the strings slightly. I can get a perfect flatwound sound this way, but then I also have the "bright" sound that I can't get from flatwounds when needed.
  5. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    getty lee and john entwistle use roundwounds.
    It's that piano sound.
  6. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005