Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Mar 19, 2001.

1. I was just wondering what exactly the difference is between these flatwounds and slowounds.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bass guitar strings are typically made by wrapping a round or hex-shaped (in cross-section) wire core with thin round wire. As far as I know, the difference between typical roundwounds and flatwounds is the final wrap. On roundwounds, the final wrap is round, and on flatwounds the final wrap is flat. I don't know about all flatwounds, but the underlay wraps on Fender flatwounds are round, and the outer wrap is flat stainless steel.

D'Addario Slowwounds are nickel roundwounds that are wound or wrapped more slowly and apparently with more precise attention to tension than many other strings.

Roundwounds tend to be bright and ringy, while flatwounds are usually much darker in character.

Flatwounds look and feel smooth. Roundwounds aren't smooth and produce more finger noise.

These are generalizations as there are many variations on these themes.
  3. sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    what about rubber strings? just recently i saw a diadario(spelling?) ashbury bass and it was a foot and a half long with rubber strings you really have to look for a pic to understand what i am describing but anyway what's up with that? i have never even heard of haveing rubber strings? what are they like?
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, D'addario doesn't make that bass; DeArmond is currently making it.

Those strings wouldn't be suitable for your bass, unless you had Piezo or Lightwave pickups, because those can pick up non-ferrous strings, which magnetic pickups cant.