Roundwounds ate my fretboard!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Aug 10, 2000.

1. I have my new MIM Jazz Fretless for about a month now. Right off, I replaced the factory flatwounds with a light gauge of roundwounds. I already see that these strings are starting to chew up the fretboard. Yow!!!
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Well have u considered giving your neck a finish so that it adds some durability but i've heard that they can hurt the tone. & always do what feels right or ask around to find out.
  3. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

I have the same bass and did the same thing, replaced the flats w/ rounds. Which rounds are you using? I have GHS boomers (.045-.105) on. Nickel will probably chew up less than stainless.

I noticed that the neck started to show the string "grooves" right away, but after a month or so has stabilized and not worn through any more...

I've thought about the idea of putting some sort of protective finish on, but I'm not that handy and just don't want to spend the $$ yet to have it done.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that Stainless Steel round wounds are very abrasive and are probably the worst things for a fretless board. Nickel coated would probably be better or a half round string. Maybe this debate should be more at home in the strings section?
  5. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Very odd that you should mention that, Bruce, because after I posted I thought I moved it...I'll try again here...maybe a burp in the new system...

6. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Guess that worked...

hmmm...moving a thread doesn't leave a locked version in the previous forum...I liked that because it served as a pointer to new location...

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Check the thread "What difference does it make whether the strings are made out of steel or nickel?" It covers a lot of info about strings and fretless necks.

Will C.:cool:
  8. I have D'Aquisto Nickle Plated roundwounds eating my fretboard. I don't want to paint the fretboard with epoxy or anything and I'm going to keep on playing and see if this damage gets worse. I'm taking a rock and roll attitude of live fast, die young and leave a grooved fretboard!
  9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Aah, it's just a Fender anyway... :D those rosewood boards are kinda soft. Ebony's better.