1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roundwounds For Precision Style Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dune2k, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Hi,
    I'm on the quest of finding the right strings for my Peavey Precision Style Bass (w/ Fender "Original P-Bass Pickups" in it).
    I tried DR Lo-Riders and liked their feel & tension but they had too much top end. Next on were Chromes, same here & I found out I didn't like flats.
    Right now I have a cheap 10€ set of nickel plated steel roundwounds from Thomann/Harley Benton on it. They are nice for the price, but not quite the right thing.
    So maybe one of you guys has a hint on what strings to use.
    I prefer a mid-rangey sound with enough/much bass and not much treble & almost exclusively play finger style. (Think of old-school German punk/hardcore stuff.)
    I checked the Bass Player String comparison sheet and I thought about getting D'Addario XL Nickel rounds to try out.

Thanks in advance,
    dune

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    GHS Boomers or Fender 7250. Were the Lo-Riders you tried ss or nickel?

3. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently put my GHS Boomers back on my P. They were quite bright when I first got them, and after two months I replaced them with flats. But on a whim, I put them back on last week, and I'm very pleased with 'em. Although I haven't tried more than a handful of different strings, I'd have no problem buying Boomers again.

4. never was a fan of the boomers myself, too bright, but I am a huge fan of the Daddario nickels. I've tried out Prosteels and they, like the Boomers, just had too much top end for me, it takes your head off. But if you want a nice grind, punchy mids, and not too much highs the Nickels would be my suggestion. Give them a few weeks to settle into their tone, they're pretty bright at first, but after it wears off they're just right.

5. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Steel, the normal ones. :)
    I heard Fender changed a lot concerning their strings, have you tried new 7250s?

@wshines1892: How about the XL Nickels' string tension?

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I never liked Boomers for anything (I do like other GHS strings on both bass and guitars, but not Boomers). My Precision sounded great with D'Addario XL (their standard nickle strings), DR Hi-Beams, and GHS Super Steels. The only reason I speak of these in the past tense is because I ultimately decided I liked my Precision best with flats, and have rounds on other basses.

I just got a set of Dunlop nickles for one of my Lakland (Deluxe 4-94) and like them so much, I'm thinking of putting a set on my other flatwound bass, the Fender Sting (reproduction of a 1954-style single-coil P bass).

John

7. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    D'addario Nickels. Yup

8. mrpbase

mrpbase

Aug 12, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've used D'Addario XL Nickel wounds (EXL170) on my P-basses for years. Great roundwound strings. Not too bright, not too dull. Not abrasive to play like Rotosounds.

(although recently I switched to flats, but if I ever switched back, this is what I would use.)

9. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Sounds to me like you need a worn in set of Rotosound swing bass.
    Almost all new roundwounds are too bright to begin with but it's what happens when they start to loose that zing that's interesting and very different. Rotos keep a good midrange sound very well suited for fingerstyle playing IMO

10. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    +1 On D'addario Nickels.

I replace them every couple weeks or every gig because i like the sound they have brand new, but after they break in they have the sound you seem to be looking for. I wish i didn't like them brand new...it would be a lot cheaper but what can a guy do.;)

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I would put the DRs back on and play them a bit more- when the top gets knocked off they stay sweet for a long time, not harsh but plenty of character and definition. Or you might try Lo-Rider nickels, or the Dunlop nickels, which I also like a lot.

I find a brighter round that has lost it's new sound is nicer than a set that is dull to begin with.

Don't forget the tone knob on a P is a formidable EQ tool, especially for keeping a set of rounds sounding the same as they break in.

12. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    That's what I did. ;)
    Since I don't have thaaat much money that was the only option at that time. They are sort of dead now & I bought those cheapo strings to try out/bridge some time till I got enough money to buy new, quality strings. :)
    (As I said, for someone on a real tight budget they are really nice. Play well & don't have a completely terrible sound. Enough for practicing.)

Anyway: Thanks for the hints. I'll next try XL Nickles & if I don't like 'em I got a couple of other good choices.
    Did anyone try the Marcus Miller Fat Beams DR sells? They're supposed to have less top end+more low end than normal Sunbeams.

13. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Ken Smith Bass Burners, or Rockmasters.

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I find KS Burners even brighter than DR nickel Lo-Riders.

15. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    webstrings.com for budget strings...

16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Haven't tried the new ones, I stocked up on the old packs when they switched over.

I'd recommend the nickel DR Lo-Riders, they sound alot warmer and smoother than the SS variant.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I hope you realize that putting rounds on a P-bass is breaking the 12th Commandment. :bawl:

The 11th Commandment is, of course, "Thou shalt not waste good beer." :p

18. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Pfff... :D
    I don't even drink...and Americans talking about good beer is something that doesn't fit together... ;)

19. I don't know if these are available where you are, but I have found SIT Power Nickels to be a great string and are currently my roundwound to go to as of late.

20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Life is too short to waste any of it on bad beer or bad drummers

John

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021