1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

roundwounds on a fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Killinger, Oct 16, 2006.

1. forum search didnt really turn up anything.

I'm thinking about putting roundwounds on my fretless, however I dont like roundwounds because of the ridges, and they tend to hurt my hands, is there anyway I can sort of "age" the roundwounds so that the "ridges" in the strings dont stick out so far? or do I just need to suck it up. :(

Also, how long should I boil new strings?

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Buy halfwounds, or ground wounds. I have a set of halfs on my Jaco Fretless right now.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    what are groundwounds? never heard of those.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You also may want to consider a coated string like elixers or DR Extra Life strings. Also, there are round wounds with smaller, tighter windings that provide a slicker feel, like Thomastik Infeld Jazz Rounds.

5. Stop being such a wuss.

6. I thought boiling the strings was just a way to revive old strings.
    Does anyone else do this with new strings?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    I wouldn't have put it that way but yeah, that's kinda true....you can't even try out 95% of the basses in stores if you can't handle the feel of rounds. Play 'em for two weeks and you'll be accustomed to them.

And don't boil your bass strings. There's a whole big thing on that in the Strings forum- I believe it's stickied.

8. Maybe im just overreacting, I play basses in stores all the times and the bass-strings are kinda flat. for some reason I remember playing a bass, and on the lowest string, the ridges almost cut my fingers up, so maybe it was just those strings in particular. Oh well.

9. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    That's funny - I've actually done more damage to my fingers since I switched full time to flats. I play my roundwound-strung basses to "take a break." I have two theories about why - 1.) the flatwound strings are stiffer or 2.) I'm playing a LOT harder on the flats.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Flats also don't have the little ridges to stutter your motion, so doing a big slide on a flat string can burn up your finger.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    May have been stainless steel rounds that cut your fingers up. I've been playing rounds for years, had a two years stint with steel strings, and nobody could stand playing my basses for years because they complained about their fingers hurting. It was probably just those particular strings.

But if you're looking for that roundwound sound without the roundwound feel, check out either coated strings like Elixirs or D'Addario EXP's or groundwound strings.

12. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    That sounds about right. I know my playing style is slide-heavy (for a number of reasons). Thanks.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true. Biggest drawback to flats, which just means I need to work on my callouses more. Can't beat those Chromes.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    they are roundwounds ground flat. feel like flats, sound in between.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I noticed that when playing on my fretless strung with flats. I just used some nose grease to lube the string up!

16. Man if they could only package nose grease. It's the best string lube there is. It will help with your sensitivity to round wounds too. Rotosounds hurt, but most other rounds are not so unpleasant.

17. I have GHS brite flats (groundwounds) on my jazz and they sound great!

18. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I use flats on my fretless bass. I like to slide around a lot, and roundwound and even halfrounds squeak when I slide on them.

19. You should try the TI Jazz Rounds. They are Nickel coated and they are quite diminutive in feel (the G string is like a guitar string!). BUT they have a huge sound and I have noticed no wear on my chechen FB at all.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use Fodera steels on my fretted and nickels on my fretless, and they feel almost exactly the same. Same with DR Hi-beams. You probably just got ahold of some heavy-gauge cheaper strings.