Roundwounds on a Hofner?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chuck King, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Anybody who doesn't have flats on a Hofner? I have one that I like but it has LaBella flats and after I used it at a gig my bandmates said it is hard to pick out in their in-ear mixes compared to my other basses that have rounds. I'd like to use it in my band and I'm wondering about another type of strings that might give it a little more grind and presence. (The bass is an Icon violin bass.)

2. Labella makes a round wound set for Beatle Bass: 760 RHBB. They should fit perfectly.
    La Bella Strings

3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    If you join the “La Bella Roadie Club”, you’ll find some custom rounds meant for the Beatle Bass.

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Short scale GHS Boomers fit Hofners perfectly. They also sound great on there. I suggest the lightest set.

5. If you'd like to spend about $82.00 for a set, Thomastik-Infeld makes the JR324, round wound Jazz short scale (32 inch) .Some people love them.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 3.42.58 PM.png

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I will definitely second this. I have a set of these on a Gretsch Broadkaster, which is also a "short scale" bass (although, to look at it, you would not suspect it). Broadkasters with flats are every bit as woody, thumpy, and "one trick ponies" as violin basses are. The Jazz Rounds transformed my Gretsch. Still has a good bottom end, but it now has a lot of midrange, and - gasp! - an actual top end, too. But, if you don't want to spend that much? I pulled a set of DR Sunbeams off one of my short scale basses a couple of years ago, and, just for a lark, put them on a Chinese Starfire bass that can wear "real" short scale strings. The results were the same as the JRs on the Broadkaster; the Sunbeams turned it into a very useful bass. In fact, that result was the reason I put the JR's on my Gretsch...:cool:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not on a Hofner, but for a long time I used rounds on my 05 Jay Turser violin bass. Didn't change the bass into something that Geddy or Chris Squire would have played, but did add a level of versatility it didn't have when I tried flats. Nowadays I don't care about it being able to play music that sound best with rounds, so it's got flats, but I think they sound cool with rounds, too.

And BTW, remember to get medium scale strings to compensate for the tailpiece.

8. Chuck King

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Thanks everybody. I'm going to try the LaBellas and maybe the GHS. If neither does it, I will bite the bullet and try the TIs.

9. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I have GHS Precision flats on mine at the moment, but have run Daddario XL nickels and have some DR Hi Beams to try out on it eventually.

The bassist from the Killers sometimes uses a Hofner with GHS Boomers. Check out the song “Joy Ride” for an example of this. Either live or recorded.

10. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Hey all follow up question - anyone ever used long scale rounds on their beatle bass? I realize that it should have mediums typically, but there is a long scale set I wanted to try that doesn’t come in medium scale. The tuning keys are Y gotoh style, not the guitar tuners.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'd talk to the manufacturer about it first. D'addarios were no problem on my Turser. Dunlops were. They can't take the fat part of the E being wound around narrow posts much more than about halfway.

Dan_reeves likes this.
  12. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks!

13. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    I dont know what the Gotoh Y tuners are. I've used long scale strings on Hofner copies, but they dont work on Hofner's tuning machines. After reading this thread, I went and purchased a set of short scale GHS Boomers round from the Talkbass store and they fit one of my Hofner Ignition perfectly. They are a little less noisy as other rounds I've tried. Still thumpy but a bit more clarity and sustain, if that's what you're after.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  14. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks - I have used the Boomers before and that’s not really the tone I am after.

PS this the tuner I am talking about, generally:
    4777989A-80D3-4E08-91C0-F228A7455117.jpeg

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I thought Schaller came up with them, but I could be wrong.

16. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I had a Hofner I put Roto's on in the late 70's. I don't remember how I wound it on the tuners. But It worked ? I pretty much made the (permanent) switch to Roto's from that day on. Worked great I thought.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  17. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I have a Hofner that I put rounds on (Rotosound long scale that I carefully fitted) and it works pretty well, the Hofner pickups have a certain quack to them that makes them cut through surprisingly well with roundwounds

DavyR, LetItGrowTone and JimmyM like this.
  18. Chuck King

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Well, I strung up the Hofner with the LaBella roundwounds and played it at band practice last night. Still plenty of thump and woodiness but more going in in the higher frequency ranges so it's a little more present in the mix. So far so good. We'll see how it does on stage in a few weeks.

JimmyM and LetItGrowTone like this.
  19. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Nice, I found with roundwounds the Hofner sounds good with both pickups on gives it a nice presence in the midrange

DavyR likes this.
  20. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    Let the zingyness wear off some. They will sound great !

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021