Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roundwounds on fretless neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Makatak, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Ive just defretted a cheap jazz copy bass [ did the Jaco !] , should i be worried about eating up the Rosewood neck with my stainless steel roundwounds or should i epoxy the fingerboard , I heard that a lot of resins dont adhere well to rosewood , id appreciate any foldback....er feedback !

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My defretted rosewood board took 2-part marine grade epoxy well. It's been on since 1999. and the bass wore DR Hi-beams from 99 to 2002 with an occational re-sanding of the surface. If you're heavy handed on the neck and/or use vibrato 'across' the board instead of along the length of the string... even flats will chew up a board IMO.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Played my 74 p bass for 16 years with rotosound rounds on it. Never once did i have to refurb the board..YMMV

PS no epoxy on the fb either

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    My fretless has rounds and a rosewood FB, and there are only mild signs that there are rounds on it. Can't feel anything, but in the right light you can see tiny lines where the wrappings made marks. I'mma slap on some groundwounds when my order comes in, so they won't be much of a problem.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, I use rounds on my fretless as well.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    When I get a fretless, I'll use rounds on it.

I don't mind spending a little extra money on getting the board redone every couple of years. Rounds just sound better IMO.

7. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    people put flats on fretless basses?:bassist:

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    nice absolute.

:rolleyes:

only flats i had on a fretless was my Rob Allen.

all my other fretlesses have/had ROUNDS!

nickels.

had a Fender Jazz that i had a mylar sheet placed on the fretboard.

sounded great, no wear!

f

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    My fretless basses have DR Nickel Wrapped Lo Riders on them. The only bass that has Flats on it is my Fretted P Bass with LaBellas.:D

10. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

My one and only bass is my fretless Kubicki X-factor, and it see's nothing but Med. MTD's(45-.105's).
    Ebony board though, so I can't comment on the rosewood.
    Any harm from RW's is a quick sanding away from being fixed.
    There is nothing like the tone of RW's on a naked board!
    GO 'ROUND NAKED!!!!!
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

11. Sorry guys. I dn't understand how the fingerboard can simply be redone every couple of years. Eventually you're going to have to replace the fingerboard. Has anyone ever had to do that? It seems like it would be extremely expensive. Especially if the board is ebony.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've got trails on my fretless boards from using nickel rounds. It dosen't seem to affect the sound any, but it's certainly visually noticeable close up. I'm a heavy handed player so that contributes, but both basses were used and had wear marks from rounds previously. The marks don't bother me so I'll keep on...I like it when basses have wear marks from playing.

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Jacob, ebony is much harder than rosewood and that is why lots of compays use it on fretless basses. I have had ebony boards and seen very little damage from roundwound strings on them. I do see more evidence of grooves in the board with rosewood however. Here is the big difference though. I do not play my fretless all the time. I play it a good bit but not nearly as much as a player who plays only fretless. Pino Pallidino has had to have new fingerboards put on his MM Stingray three times (last I read). But he plays all the time and his board is ebony too. So yes, if it is possible but I think it is a question of how much playing time you put on your axe.

14. My fretless has a coco bolo fingerboard. It feels a lot like ebony, and frm what I'ver heard, it has many of the same characteristics. Is this accurate, or is it a completely different kind of wood?

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    from www.cocobolo.net:

One of the true tropical rosewoods, Cocobolo is probably the most beautiful exotic wood worldwide, ranging from a beautiful rich dark brick red, to reddish or dark brown, with a figuring of darker irregular traces weaving through the wood. The amount of figure and contrasting color varies widely from tree to tree. In this respect it is quite similar to Claro Walnut found in the Sacramento Valley of California. Cocobolo is fine textured and oily in look and feel. The wood has excellent working characteristics and the natural oils give the wood a natural luster. Cocobolo is highly durable and strong, it can be turned, planed, drilled and milled without chipping. It is twice the weight of Walnut, and is so dense it does not absorb water (it will not float!). Because of its scarcity and high value, it is used for its rare beauty rather than for its extreme strength or durability.

f

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    DR Low Riders on fretless P-Bass
    Ken smith Compressors, on fretless Jazz.
    No problem

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've used flats and nickel rounds on my fretli, and while flats feel great, rounds just sound much better. I've not experienced any wear thus far. I haven't tried steel rounds on a fretless yet, though.

18. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Bryan R. Tyler: nice artwork on your site!!!

f

19. Thanks for the info.

20. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I've even seen new Warwicks in the shop with rounds already digging ruts in the fingerboard.
    When I bought my fretless Warlock (used) it had slight marks on it from the rounds. I promptly switched to flats to keep it from getting worse, and hated them. Now I'm using La Bella Tapewounds, and am much happier.
    I am also, however, trying to find out how to avoid the grooves. I actually just posted about this last night in the Luthier's Corner.