roundwounds on fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jimmen, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Jimmen

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweden, Kiruna
    What is the danger of having roundwounds on a six string fretless bass ?
    What can I do about the danger if there is one ?
    Which is damage to the fretboard right ?

How can I tell if my strings are flatwounds or roundwounds ?
    The shop I bought the bass from put some strings on, and I forgot to ask, but I'm gonna soon..

Is it hard for a tech/luthier/whatever to change the.. fretboard (?) after a few years when it's dug out ?
    If that is what you do..

So I'm calling all you fretless slappers, how do you keep your fretless bass alive ?

2. Roundwounds are used more often than flats on a fretless, mainly 'cos most fretless players go for the "Jaco" sound rather than the upright sound. They will eat your fingerboard, but it can be dressed by a luthier every couple of years, and may need to be replaced after 5 or 6 years, not a huge job. You can tell the difference, flats have a very smooth feel.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Check the link for a general idea of different types of bass strings. The "brite flats" are what commonly called a groundwound string.

6 string fretless huh? :eek: :D
  4. Jimmen

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweden, Kiruna
    Marty, with dressed you mean.. ?
    And replaced, to replace the whole neck ?

Also.. the G string, it gives this weird rattling fishy sound when I play it.. like.. meeeow, not mwah.

And some of the strings buzzes.. but that is a user prob right ? to press harder ?

Or is all of this just an easy task to raise the strings ?

What strings should I use to get a good slap sound.. a middlish tone but with some bass and treble.
    Like Les, cause that sound is lovely..

Also, while getting into Les, does anyone know what strings he uses and gauge on his Rainbow bass ? (fretless six stringed)

5. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Try a pair Of Exliars has a polamar coating on them will
    not ruin the finish
  6. Jimmen

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweden, Kiruna
    I got this small urge to get a fretted six just so I'll spare the fingerboard.
    However I do enjoy the feeling and sound of these (maybe a little too bright), that I think are roundwounds, at least they feel and sound like them, but I wanna spare the fingerboard..

So what would do me best so they wont eat up the whole fingerboard in a few months, cause im a hard hitting slapper which I've noticed isnt so very good on the fingerboard.. had it three days now and when I get the light on the fingerboard I can see some potentionally dangerous 'digs'..

New strings ? (checked out that link and there werent any brite flats for 6-stringers, also checked out but I don't know which ones are good sounding and nice to the board)

dressing every now and then ? (whatever it means)
    and then after a while change the fingerboard (or neck) ?

So please help me...

7. Jim,

I have a set of bright flats, with a high C, and a low B single i could sell you. Although your limited to a .027 for the C, and .129 for the B. For the other strings I have lights (6 string set would be 27-45-56-77-98-129) or mediums (6 string set would be 27-49-62-84-108-129). Email me if you interested in trying those out.
  8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I play a fretless six and I use Fodera Stainless rounds on it. Any roundwound string will eat up your board eventually, but if you're looking for the Jaco tone you'll need to live with it. However, the Fodera strings are not as abrasive as some of the rounds I've used on fretless. The wear I get into the board is very minimal. Granted, I don't play the fretless exclusively, but I'm sure my board will last for quite some time without having to be redressed. FYI - Dressing a board isn't a huge job. A good luthier will do it for you relatively quickly and inexpensively.
  9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Jimmen --

"Dressed" means filing and sanding the fingerboard so the string wear marks are removed. This is definitely not something you want to do yourself -- take your bass to a skilled repirman who has worked on fretless fingerboards before.

An ebony fingerboard will wear less than a rosewood fingerboard. You didn't say what kind you have.

Search this forum for "fretless" and "Elixir" and you will find plenty of comments about fingerboard wear.