Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roundwounds on Fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kelly Coyle, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    (I am not trying to horn in on the "Flats on Frets" thread.)

So I got this new Lightwave fretless bass -- before fhodshon offered his for sale, I'm sorry to say -- and it came with Boomer roundwound strings on it. I was all haughty about it, of course: "what are these people thinking?" So I ordered some LaBella nylon-coated flats and played with the rounds while I waited (they came today).

When I started with the rounds, I found them to be sticky and pianoy, hard to slide on, and just too bright. But in the three days I've had the bass, they seem to have changed -- sliding, in particular, has gotten a lot easier, and, to my ears, the sound has improved. A lot. They've gotten darker sounding, but have a very cool-sounding attack.

Now, I haven't played real roundwounds in years and years. Is this what they do? How much more will they change? Will the cool attack last awhile? I am kind of tempted to send the flats back and roll with the rounds (fingerboard be damned!). But everyone loves the nylons with Lightwaves. So, can someone offer advice?

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Off they came, and the LaBellas went on. I love the nylon-covered strings. So look here: more-or-less free to a good home.