Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roundwounds vs. Flatwounds. What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by John Ruiz, May 12, 2001.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I have a question that may seem a bit dumb, but I've really never taken the time to learn about this... What is the structural and tonal difference between roundwound and flatwound strings. Which are best for what tone, etc... Thanks in advance!

2. bass strings round wound or flat wound? first off in my opinion roundwound is the best of the two. roundwound have a bright tone and flatwound are mellows, they cancel out most of that noise of the slide of your fingers on the strings and all that other sounds of movement. in other ways to explain it,the mellows sound a little on the dead side when it comes to playing a music with a high toned bass. if you play stuff that requires a deeper sound id recommend the flatwound, other than that the roundwound are the best sounding. i used flatwound a lot when i played a lot of jazz and other rock such as pink floyd and stuff. but i use roundwound now. they sound great for slapping which i am currently occupied with now. so i hope this helped you out, i dont know too much but maybe it got ya a little info to help you out.

3. The outer winding is what makes the main difference. Flatwounds have an actually flat steel or nickel winding and are later polished. This gives them their smooth feel and thumpy sound. On the other hand, Roundwounds have a round winding, which gives them brightness and clarity.

I prefer flarwounds, as i do not need to slap. I also play a lot of zeppelin, beatles and doors, which require a lot of bottom.
    Roundwounds are used by most modern players. They give you more definition and a higher output.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Thanks! That answers my question. I have always used roundwounds and was thinking about trying flats to see the difference for myself, but I think that the rounds are more suitted to my playing style.