1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Route neck pocket, or custom neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by isher1992, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I've bought a Bronco bass body for about 30 bucks off Ebay, and have a new pickup on the way for the body. I was thinking of converting it to an 8-string using a Schaller 471 bridge and a new neck.

I sent Warmoth an e-mail, but they seemed more or less to shrug me off. The Bronco's neck pocket is approximately 2.25", whilst all Warmoth necks are the standard Fender 2.5" neck pocket. I have also e-mailed other luthiers across the Internet that could make custom necks that fit the neck heel, but no one has returned my e-mails (Some I I am going on a week as to waiting for a reply).

So, I am not sure what exactly to do here. Should I try and route out an extra 1/8" on each side of the neck pocket or maybe have it done by a shop? Or do I keep sending e-mails?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    The Schaller 471 has 19mm string spacing. This is not compatible with an existing Bronco neck or pickups, as the outer strings will overhang the edges of a 2.25" neck and the standard width bronco/strat pickup, which will cause a weak sound. The E and G will not be as clear sounding. If you want to do this properly, it requires utilizing a wider neck, routing a wider neck pocket to match, and installing a pickup with a wider string sensing area. Perfectly doable if you have the time and are willing to put in the effort...

3. I'm installing a rail/blade guitar pickup. About wide a neck would I need? A 2.5" neck pocket width, or wider?

4. I'll look around for some other 8-string bridges first and see what I can find.

5. The Hipshot A style Bass Bridge has 17mm string spacing...That's almost what a standard P-bass neck is.

6. I think instead I'll just make this a regular old Frankenstein. There's not much info out there about 8-string conversions, so I'm probably getting in over my head.