1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Route or not to route???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dabass, May 13, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Here is the question... I have a 4 string Celinder Classic J (passive bass) that I'm considering installing some active electronics on. I guess the bass needs to be routed....I know there are some great out board preamps but I really prefer onboard preamps.... Should I route the bass or sell it and try to find an "active" Celinder????? If I do route the bass could it be done from the front of the bass or do I need to cut a cavity on the back of the bass (it has volume/volume contols, a pick guard and plate like a vintage J)

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    it's entirely possible to remove the pickguard and route from the front side. depending on the preamp, there's not much routing to be done.

I'd recommend that you install the batteries in the traditional battery box vs inside the cavity to keep from having to constantly remove the guard just to change the battery.

all the best,

R

3. you can get some cool eq's that dont need routing as the boards are pot mounted (emg bqs,bqc control).but if you want aguilar or other box style onboard you may need a little work done, battery box ect

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd avoid chopping a decent bass, perhaps even if it weren't visible. Sounds like the Retro should fit.

The problem with chopping is that it's always something. You may like the results or you may not. 6 months from now you may want it passive again, two preamps, or God knows what.

I've chopped plenty of low end stuff. Over time I figured out I have no use for onboard controls which eliminated that problem. The real choker for me was pup routings. Finally I had it and routed a swath beneath the strings of one bass 3/4" x 4" x 7" to see if I could elliminate that problem. Worked so well I chopped up 4 more like that and never looked back - or at another bass!