Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

router bit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Anyone know where I can get a rounding router bit larger than 1/2 inch? I can't seem to find one.

2. I have an old roundover bit that's at least 3/4", but it came w/a router I got used. Try googling router bits; there's also rocklertools.com or routerbitsonline.com as well as sevsral others that escape me.

3. Routerbitworld.com: Freud rounding over bits up to 1 1/8". How big do you need?

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    ummm...hmmm, I guess like an inch. thanks guys

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    woodcraft sells them but you'll need a router that can handle a 1/2 " arbor.

6. You probably know this, but I'm a parent, so here goes: Don't try to take all that material off in one pass- adjust your router so that you only take off 1/8" or so, then a bit more, & so on. Removing that much wood (especially hardwood) all at once is stressful on the tools & can pull that router right out of your hands (now count your fingers), to say nothing of ruining your work.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    depends on your work piece. i make my bodies 1.5 inches and use a 3/4 roundover. one pass on the top and one on the back and we're good...

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    routerbits.com

10. You are very correct and as a good general router rule, this should be followed. I just want to point out that roundover bits are some of the easiest cutting bits out there because they naturally can't take a huge bite from the workpiece since it's a corner it's cutting down. However, they can give you tear out just as easy as any other bit and that is where I would put my concern. For me and my limited experience, walnut has been the worst about this. For that reason, you might want to use a series of stepped roundover bits on woods you predict might have this happen. And be mindful of the direction of your cut. Roundover bits ARE straight bits in the way they cut. That's why they tearout like they can do.

11. The very word I should have been groping for...
    ...thank you.

12. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    yes...I've learned that the hard way and ironically enough, it was with wanut. thanks for the words of wisdom though.

13. A very experienced woodworker friend of mine was making cabinet doors on a router table. As he was feeding a small top rail into the bit, it rode up on a loose wood chip between the table & workpiece. As it got to the middle of the piece, it teetered down, shoving way too much uncut material into the spinning bit, which pulled the workpiece & my friend's knuckles into oblivion. The wood exploded, & now Chester's left index finger is an inch shorter.

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Use caution any time there is a spinning cutter, but be extra careful if you go over 1/2" radius on a roundover. Make sure you chuck enough of the bit and check the literature that comes with your router to see if they recommend a limit on bit sizes. The heavier duty your router, the more control you'll have with the larger bits.

My PC 693 does not like the 3/4" radius bit. I have to chuck it deep into the collet or else it wants to move around a lot. Take care especially if you go for a climb cut (to reduce chip-out). That's when it really wants to take off.

15. It's almost a cliche' - like something you would see on "Malcolm in the Middle" but my junior high shop teacher was missing a finger from a table saw accident. When he spoke about shop safety, we tended to listen wide-eyed.

Last year, when I finished my little router table extension on my table saw, I made a 12" x 12" x 1/4" polycarbonate plate to mount my router base on and put upside down in the table. Well that base now stays on the router and I use it on a lot of my upright tasks. The wide footprint keeps it from tipping (and gouging or catching the work), and the extra weight distributed over the large area really helps stabilize the router when working with tough materials. And then there's the added safety factor of having the bit so protected from reach of delicate skin - like mine! :D