1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

router bits?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Can anyone please tell me what kind of router bit I need make a hole for pickups? My router only came w/ one bit and it does not have the proper depth and doesn't seem to remove much wood. Thanks!

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Get a Freud catalog. They make high quality routers and bits. Their catalog does a MUCH more through job explaining that a few lines of dialog. If you are new to routing - study first, or you can do a great deal of damage in a VERY short time.

3. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Agree with above, from your description it sounds like you are new to using a router. You really don't want to do this unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. They are very dangerous if you don't.

Any library should have some books on routers - router handbook, etc.

I wouldn't go buy any bits until you spend more time getting educated first.

Don't mean to sound negative here, I have done woodworking as long as I've played bass (45 years) and have seen what routers can do to damage things in a fraction of a second (not to mention what they can do to your hands).

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Here's some tips:

Get The Router Handbook by Patrick Spielman, or a similar book on the subject.

When routing a precise hole, particularly in a guitar body, make and use a good template, don't attempt to freehand it.

MLCS woodworking makes some decent bits that won't kill your budget.

Stewmac has one specifically for pickup routes. I have it. Be forewarned though, it's a delicate bit and bearing; don't hog out the cavity with this one, just use it to clean up the route.

5. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The Stewart MacDonald website has information on the most used bits for routing pickup cavities. They also sell very accurate acrylic templates for most pickups. Read all you can on routing and then practice on scrap wood before trying it on a guitar body. They are very dangerous and require very careful use.

6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    This ^^^ is what i meant to include.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, Stewart MacDonald. They have everything for the DIY guitar builder.