1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Router Recomendation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RobertPaulson, Apr 15, 2009.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I'm going to be doing some routing work on a bass I just got and I need to purchase a router. I've read a lot of people use laminate trimmers as well so that's not off the table. I'm looking for any recommendations that people have for a quality router - I'm not looking to break the bank, I'm a hobbyist at most. I'd like something that works well with a router table as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. I have a Craftsman (Sears) I purchased at a pawn shop for $20. Works fine but bits are very expensive.

3. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    Are you looking for a 1/2" machine or a baby one? Most small routers run out of grunt on hard timbers/ deep cuts and end up being forced - dangerous for you and bad for your finish. See if you can't pick up a Makita 3612 reasonable from ebay - I use mine every day more or less and it is a great piece of kit, works well in a table if you zip tie the dead man's switch. Can't honestly bring myself to recommend a real cheapie, but you might want to look at the 1/2" Ryobi as a fairly decent mid ranger. They seem pretty good as far as run out and power go, but the build is a bit on the light side. Try not to skimp on cutters either. I'd rather have a few quality ones than one of those big starter set boxes.

4. rdcalab

rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    not sure if they still do but rockler had a porter-cable for $99 after rebate. can't beat that.

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I use the DeWalt DW621.

6. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    The Bosch Colt is a nice compromise between a lam. trimmer and a full blown router. They go for about $125.00 give or take. For not much more you can get a PC 690 that is the industry standard. If you are looking to go cheap, Craftsman is ok. But after ruining a quilt maple top with a Craftsman that let go of it's shaft, I avoid them at all cost.

7. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    My craftman router is too noisy, it vibrates like a (insert the name of something that vibrates here) , sometimes smokes with hardwood, but it won't die... and if you're like me, you won't replace it until it dies... so buy something else.

I've eard good things about Hitachi tools for being quiet (for a router).

Dewalt are also highly regarded with porter cable.

All depends on your budget.

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    and its crapsman. i mean come on, buy something thats going to work good the first time, and spend a little extra money
    oh and i have a dewalt plunge base with a half inch collet, not sure of the model name, but its a real good router

9. chiselhead

chiselhead

Mar 18, 2009
    Knox, New York
    I've got two porter cable 3 1/4 hp routers that take care of any heavy work and will work well mounted in a table. For lighter more finess moves I use a bosch laminate trimmer. Because I'm a tmberframer by trade, I need the bigger routers. If I didn't do timber framing and all I did was guitar work, I'd probably go with something more midsized. I'd stay away from hitachi routers. I had one once and the bit was forever sliding out of the collet. I ruined more work with that router than any other tool I've ever owned

10. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Definitely. Every Craftsman portable power tool I've ever owned has had to be replaced by a "real" brand at some point.

I had replaced a Craftsman router with the Ridgid combo kit, with a regular and plunge base. The unit was compatible so far with some porter/cable accessories too. I love it.