Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing a neck cavity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nocturnal, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I am in the middle of a project and I need some help please. I bought a cheapo bass and stripped the neck and tuners to put on my own bass body. I'm at the point where I need to route the neck pocket. What I'm looking for I guess is the best way to copy the neck pocket from the original body so it can be routed on the new one. Am I making any sense?
    By the way, it's not a Fender type of neck. And it doesn't look like it would fit a Fender neck pocket. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!:D Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ok,

You'll need a router and two different ball bearings equipped router bits.

With the first one, having the ball bearing at its end, copy the original neck pocket on a piece of MDF by putting the MDF over the neck pocket and routing with the bearing following the pocket.

Then use the template you just made with the other router bit ( bearing on top) to rout your own body.

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear right now (I just wake up :D) ...

Peace, JP

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Or try this
    I think this is safer, because it works from the neck in question, rather than an old cavity, which accuracy may be inadequate.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yep suburban, I agree, this is a lot better. Martin's trick works really well.

I just replied to the original question and of course I should have advised for this technique :D

Pecae, JP

5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know how it turns out ina few days.