Routing cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Jan 11, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Okay so they make special speaker 1/4" cable i guess to route your head to your cab but for the longest time i have been using a 1/4" instrument cable and it works just fine. So does somebody wanna tell me why they make the speaker cable for??
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard that instrument cables used for speaker cables can short out at higher wattages of use. I don't know the technical reasons for this, although I know a little of the physical differences. I'm not sure,but you might get better sound/performance from a speaker cable between your amp and cab.

Buy a $10-20 noname cable at the guitar store and do it right.
  3. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    In an instrument cable, you're going to have lots of power with the positive and negative running inside of each other. In a speaker cable, you will have two seperate wires running side-by-side, to prevent a short.

4. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The fine guage wire inside instrument cable is not designed to handle the much higher current that flows to the speaker. it could burn out, At least, the resistance in the instrument cable is robbing you of power. Save yourself some grief and get a speaker cable, the heavier guage the better.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not only is instrument cable of insufficient gauge, which costs power transfer, but it is shielded, which has high capacitance losses that translate into high frequency losses. In a 3 foot cord it's probably not that serious, but do so with the long speaker cords to a PA and it really messes up the sound.