Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing For A Musicman

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bazzist, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I am going to buy a musicman style bass pickup from customshopparts.com and would liek to know if any one knows wher i coudl get a template or somethign to help me route the pickup properly into place so it sits in the body right. All help is appreciated. Just to tell you this going between the gap in end of the pickguard and start of bridge in a precision bass. And is it possible to wire two magnetic pickups(p bass, stingray) that are passive without a preamp onboard into a blend then a standard tone (like on a p bass)just replacing voluem wiht blend or would i have to have the volume control?

2. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was not able to find a MM routing template so I made my own with some plexiglass, good drawing skills, a scroll saw, and a steady hand. Before CNC machines there were human machines - you can make it perfect if you decide that's the only way to do it.

Blend control - you'll need a 250K blend pot. You can get by without a volume control or you can a) drill another hole in the pickguard or b) use a stacked pot wired as master volume/tone.

3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    The easiest way I found to make templates is to make a frame w/ some 1/2" or 3/4" thick plywood/MDF. You nail/double stick the frame to the template material of your choice. Drill a hole through your template material so your router bit has a starting point.

Using a router bit with a ball bearing for template routing (easiest on the tip of the bit) you route out the template material with the ball bearing following the attached frame. Using the right diameter bit will produce the right radius for your corners.

For the ears of the MM pickup, you can eyball route them, or if you have a spindle sander cut them in with it, or with an attached edge guide you can route them in.

Darrin