Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing for new Pups, then switching back to original?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by C-5KO, Mar 9, 2006.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I've been on the horn with JPJ about getting a set of Nord DC's for one of my 6 string Elricks.

Problem is: Carey thinks that they may not fit in the same sized covers as the original pickups. The originals are close to a Bartolini P4 soapbar shape. Carey's said that he's not sure if his DC's will squeeze into a cover that small. He still has to get back to me on this.

So here's my question: If I route my bass to fit The DC's, and then decide that I want to go back to the original Barts sometime down the road, what sort of options do I have to fill in the gap that the routing might leave when putting the Barts back in?

I thought you guys might have some creative ideas, as to filling in the gaps? Or possibly some other options that I haven't thought of.

Oh, the routing will be to accomodate the length of the pickups. I don't believe that the width is a concern, but it's possible too. Approximately 10mm extra (5mm top, 5mm bottom) lengthwise.

I figured that this is the best forum to post this in. Mods, if you feel this belongs in pickups, please feel free to move it.

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    A set of pickup rings would probably be the easiest solution. They'd hide the hole and, depending on the design, maybe give you a stylish look.

Oooh, how 'bout some custom inserts? You could oversize the routes and then make a couple sets of inserts that can be dropped into the hole to fit different sizes of pickups. You could even make them out of metal so they'd act as shielding for your pups. I think I may be on to something here...

-Nate

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I thought about the pickup rings, but am not that hot about the idea. I'm still waiting to get the measurements from Carey to pass on to you for the covers, btw ;) .

Another alternative I thought of, was making covers to go over the entire barts. I'm thinking because of pickup height issues, this may or may not work. Depending on how thin the tops of the bigger covers would be. How thin can we go on the top of the pup covers?

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    How is the bass finished, wood, paint.....

If it is painted you could just fill them in with Bondo and paint it out again

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Wax finish. No paint. It's a walnut top on an ash body. Neckthru maple.

No pickguard either. So it wouldn't be so easy to hide.