Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing for pickups? What bit?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wolak, Dec 5, 2005.

1. I was wondering what router bit you use to rout the pickup holes. I'm assuming most people cut their template slightly larger than the pickup and use a flush trim pattern cutting bit with a top bearing. I've only seen these bits with a 1/2" diameter. How would you get into the tight corners? Do they make these bits that are 3/8" diameter?

Thanks for your help.
    Ryan

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Great bits. I actually went through my 1/2" on my first bass. It's dull as doo-doo now. Of course, I was routing pup and neck pocket cavities through bubinga and wenge, so that might explain it. I was happy enough with them to order another set for the next few basses, which of course I have no time to work on right now. :(

4. Yup, 1/2" for the bullwork, followed by tighter radius stuff for the corners.

5. I drill the corners with a 3/8" forstner, then drill out most of the caivty with another forstner bit (size depends on P-up rout). The it all cleans up nicely with the 1/2" router bit with bearings on top to follow the template. Sounds like a lot of tools but i like to use the router as little as possible to minimise those bad days when i fall out with it, although to be honest we get on much better now that i know what i am doing

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I think the 3/8 pattern bit may work a lot better than forstner's, assuming yolu have a good template. Much easier to get them square...

Anyway, I would say Stewmac's bit's are the gold standard.

7. I tend to leave the 1/2" bit in the router most of the time, so jut moving from the drill press to the router suits me. I use the forstner with the template on because i can move the forstner right up against the template so its should still line up ok when i have routed the rest out.

I really stuggled with my router when i started, particularly its tendency to eat those stew-mac templates that need to be propped up on blocks for the first few passes. SO i started making my own thicker templates and drilling out most of the waste before attacking with the router. Its got much neater for me but i was very amateur when i started