Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing hole for a battery compartment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Sep 14, 2005.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm now making myself for a jazz bass project, the body is a tranditional jazz bass body which have no large rear rout cavity for controls, electronics and batteries, I would like to add a Sadowsky on-board pre to my jazz bass (don't want a out-board one), I don't think I can put all the things into the little area under the control plate, so I decide to drill a hole for battery compartment on the back. Any people here tried this before? I would like to know what kind of tools you use! all inputs are appreciated. :)

2. A handheld plunge router with a bearing guided straight or spiral bit would be the tool to use.

3. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Using a template is the way to go when you're routing.

4. I wouldn't rout anything on a bass without a template...templates are easily enough made from MDF.

Testing your new template on a blank of throwaway wood is also a necessity. That way you can "fine tune" it as needed...
    If you mess up the template...simply start again.

5. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Thx a lot! I will let you guys know about the process in the near future!!

6. You don't have to make or buy a template. Lay out the boundaries on some masking tape you've put on the body. Then use double sided tape to place pieces of straight wood alongside two of the parallel sides of the shape. Rout most of the cavity and those sides to within just a hair of the opposite sides. Then swap the pieces of wood to the other lines and finish them off. Done and done in about 15 minutes without spending the ridiculous $25 minimum + shipping that StewMac wants or spending and hour making a template that may or may not be clean.

Want to make a lip for a screw on cover? Just do the same thing you just did but move the edges further out and only cut into the body about 1/8". Then make the cover and you're done.

7. yeah...but Hambone, you're talented...us hacks need a full template to help us color inside the lines... :)