Routing J bass for dual 9v

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Smac61, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Smac61

Nov 24, 2002
    I'm going to route out my sons MIM J bass for dual 9v batteries and wanted to get opinions on how best to do this.

Under the pickguard above the control plate, in the rear using a gotoh box, or ???

Happy New Year,
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know in the world we live in, it seems a little trivial, but after 10 years of playing active basses, I finally settled on the very coolest feature that has ever been invented.

Those quick change battery boxes.

My Carvins had them and I loved them. I got rid of those and went a long while before recently acquiring another bass with that type of setup. I was reminded of how cool it is.

IME, if a battery is going to die, it will happen at the worst time. Being able to change a battery in 10 seconds and without breaking out the tool box is very cool.

If you are willing to route for those boxes, it is worth it. Every active bass on the planet should have those.

3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    In my mim jazz i managed to squeeze two 9 volters under the chrome cover, lying flat and end to end. I had to adjust the height of the pots to lift them up very slightly. its fine! obviously i would prefer a battery box but couldnt be arsed to find one and fit it.
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Warmoth sells both single and double pop-up battery boxes... I just got a couple for a project I am working on.
  5. Another vote for pop-ups, but really they should'nt be necessary. I've never had the battery in an active bass die at a gig, I guess because I replace them every second month, just so the situation never arises.