Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing Jazz pickup cavities

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Dec 29, 2004.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've got a set of Stew-Mac jazz pickup routing templates. They work pretty good with their 3/8" diameter template bits if you plan on installing Bartolini pickups. The templates have a larger radius in the corners just like the Bartolini pickups. I'd like to make some templates with a smaller radius in the corners. Most other jazz style pickups have sharp or smaller radius corners and the Stew-Mac bit and template combo won't work very well. On the last bass I built I used Nordstrand pickups, which have sharper corners like the original Fender design. I had to use my Dremel tool, minus a template, after routing the get the corners right so the pickups would fit. I was wondering what others do for routing those tight corners. I'm aware of the recent Dremel style tool thread. I've never used my Dremel for routing. I bring this up because I can get a 1/4" straight cut bit for a Dremel tool with an 1/8" shaft. Also I can get a 1/4" diameter bearing for an 1/8" shaft from Routerbits.com. Once I've made the new templates, which I think I would make just a tad bit longer, I could use the 3/8" Stew-mac bit to remove the bulk of the material and then use the 1/4" Dremel bit to touch up the corners. Any thoughts?

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I use the truss rod router bit to touch up the corners if I need it a bit sharper in the corners..........t

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I use a 1/8" oversize template with a collet guide in the router base and a 1/4" spiral cutting bit. The guide is 1/8" bigger than the bit, so you end up with an exact correct pickup cavity.
    Finding a source for 1/8" oversize templates can be tricky though.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yeah, I was thinking about something like that as a possible second option. I could use the existing templates with a .12 or .15 binding cutter bit to make oversized templates.

I love your pickups, btw. They sound incredible in the fretless, early P-bass clone I built.