Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing jigs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PasdaBeer, Jul 24, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    wondering if anyone has some good ideas for a router jig for template routing/edge rounding to keep from tipping the router

iive tried kahunas idea,but i dont have quite enough room to set up a 3 x 3 foot router table atm

2. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
  3. Suggestions for a template jig will depend on what you are making. Do you mean a workbench?
    I've never had to use a jig for rounding edges; If its a speaker cabinet you are making, finish the box first before rounding the edges, it's a lot easier to work on that way. Go slowly and make sure you use the right tool for the job..... you just have to be very careful and keep a good grip on it.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    im template routing the wings to a bass im building, and then roundovering the edges of it

[​IMG]

5. Looks like you've got a lot of sanding ahead of you. Neat design BTW.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    well, i template routed down to the lines on those boards, then planing it down another 1/4-3/8 inch, then using a 5/8 or 3/4 roundover router bit to give it the smoothness, then its all hand sanding with 180/320 grit ...fun fun : )

thanks,
    check out the full thread here for all the rest of the pics/specs

7. I use a nesting template system for my designs. It utilizes a master template that locates the body temp. and all of the components drop in to it. I can register the template for routing either side and I can reverse it for a lefty.

To keep my router from tipping, I have a 12" x 12" x ¼" thick piece of polycarbonate as a router plate. That allows me to span even wide areas and keep the router upright. That same base stays on that router and drops into my homemade router table.

8. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Hey Hambone,

could i see some pictures of this template you are talking about.