Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing out for pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Apr 26, 2004.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Has anyone done this? let me know how it worked out... also, I am looking for routing patterns for a j bass bridge pickup.... if anyone can help, I would appreciate it!

P@

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Stewmac.com sells pup templates but you should be able to make your own. You might get more feedback in the Luthiers forum too.

3. i use templates, a plunge router with a pattern flush trim bit, and double stick tape to hold the template in place.
    i make my own templates, and i prefer even more security than just the tape. so, i have pieces extending off of the template that i can use to clamp it and the body to my work bench.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A set of Stewmac templates would never be a bad thing. Measure about four times to make sure it's in the right spot though. :)

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    thanks for the help, all... I just raided the stewmac site, that should be what I need to take care of it! I wish I had thought about the luthiers forum for this, though! :smug:

P@

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Now that you've sourced the P/U routing template the next most important steps are:
    1) locating the pickup - check and re-check that it's parallel to the bridge & neck and positioned dead-center with the neck.
    2) securing the template while routing - depending on what type template you use, there are several ways to accomplish this:
    a) using clamps - you'll probably have to add some type of material to the template in order to clamp it securely. Make sure that the clamps are positioned so that they don't interfere with the face of the router
    b) using screws - I prefer this method. I usually make my templates out of wood and attach a piece of wood on the neck and bridge side of the template. I then attach the template at the bridge area using an existing bridge screw hole and on the neck side of the template at the neck notch (if bolt-on;for neck thru's this end can be clamped).

Also always protect the finish. Masking tape works great.
    Also verify the required depth to route.
    and TAKE YOUR TIME!
    Good luck!

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, there's crossover but I myself tend to focus on a whatever forum fits my needs at the time - pickups lately. Luthiers seem to stick more to home and as a rule the better shot for feedback on woods, necks, hardware.

I routed a pathway below the strings in 4 basses to accept any pup configuration which is a lot easier than what you're trying to do. You really have no margin for error. I used both a router and a Dewalt dremmel - like tool. I would highly suggest you mock up as realistic a setup as you can and practice on another piece of wood first. You will learn things you will need to know for the real thing.

You should only take about 1/8" cuts with the router - even though the bit may have 3/4 inches of cutting blade. A dremmel you have to go much deeper or you'll probably run it across the face of the bass. I would also suggest you do something to protect the face and back of the bass to keep it from getting scratched up. And if the bass has a hard finish - it's real easy to chip it.

You might do a search and see if you can find some other helpful tips cause this is a one shot deal - or your next project will be a pickguard.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    thankfully I am not that concerned with the body... It is a Mark Hoppus body that I bought for like 10$, and I am making it into a pj4. So it is the perfect body for me to try all this on... not that I want to do a crappy job, but I wouldn't loose sleep if it looks a little shoddy...

P@

9. one of the non slip mats from the hardware section at your local home depot is also very handy. you can place the body on it, and it won't move around on you while you move the router.