1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Routing P pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have a J bass and want to make a PJ Bass (with a new pickguard to cover the old J neck pup route) Are there any standard dimensions for the P pup between nut/bridge for proper placement? Are there actual PJ basses, or are they all home made?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've never noticed any total standard for P/J, probably because it started out as a popular modification on P-basses but was never actually canonized by Leo Fender AFAIK.

I do know that Warmoth can set you up with a J pickguard with a P rout. They do good work IME and that would certainly be convenient.

3. It varies.
    You can just put it in the standard spot, or, some put it closer to the neck.

4. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    So do people start with a factory P and add a bridge J pup, or start with a J and add a P pup? Or does it not matter?

5. I'm not sure what you're asking.
    It would depend whether you are modding a P or a J into a PJ.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    People seem to do the former more often than the latter. (... which makes sense to me - when you convert P to P/J you're adding versatility - changing J to P/J, you're going to a fair amount of trouble just to swap out one neck pickup for another)

If you're not concerned with the look, you might investigate aftermarket J pickups that fit the existing routs but give you a more P-bass-like response.

7. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have a J bass. In the neck position, I put in a DiMarzio Model J, I read that it is a quick way to Precision-afy a J. I left the SD SJB-1 bridge pup alone. Just wondered if I was missing anything by not going with an actual split P pickup.

8. The model j does a fairly convincing p tone in the neck position with eq tweaking. I would eq a bit and live with that rather than rout one of my j basses.

9. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Thanks.

The thing that got me on this idea was all the rave reviews about the Bill Lawrence PJ set.

Is it weird that I am still running the stock SD SJB-1 in the bridge? I suppose I could put in the other Model J in tomorrow.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
  11. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I put in the matching DiMarzio Model J bridge pup this morning. I have GHS Precision Flats on the J bass. Bridge pup is about 1/8" from bottom of E string. Neck pup is set lower, about 3/16".

The tone I get with one or both is pretty thick, too much. Using VVT wiring, I installed push/pulls for each volume pot so each pup can be operated as series coils, or parallel coils. With each pup running parallel, it opens things up, I can get a nice hollow woody tone, and the strings give me a nice percussive attack when I roll my fingers towards the fingernail.