1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Routing/pickguard mods required to install Ultra Jazzes in a '99 5-string MIM jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Mar 27, 2006.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    A few weeks ago, I dropped off my Jazz along with a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups at Dan McCarthy's shop here in Dallas. He called tonight to warn me that the mods required to install the pickups might not have an attractive result, both in the routing and in mods he'd have to make to the pickguard. I was wondering what kind of experience TalkBass readers have had with this particular installation, and if they had any advice. I'd read a few threads here and I understood that some routing was required, but I hadn't thought about the pickguard.

How do I get the best results with these pickups?

Thanks guys/gals!

Paul

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, if I recall, he's right. Fender in all their power not only complicated issues for aftermarket pickup manufacturers, but for us tweakers. And not only with the MIMs and the Squires, but also with their newer American models which are still another similar but different form factor.