Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Routing Templates...the less common ones

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PasdaBeer, Oct 7, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Just seeing if anyone had some leads on getting pre made routing templates, looking mainly for MM style, and G&L MDF style.

thanks
    PB

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I would be interested to know too I have been making my own..........t

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Tj, if you got one sitting around that fits up pretty well, if you could slap it on a peice of 1/4 ply wood or something id give ya a few bucks for it : )

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    "G&L MDF style."

What do you mean by that?

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think he wants G&L pickup templates made from MDF.

6. Why don't one of us take a pup, put it on our scanner and post it as a 1:1 .jpg for download. Then a template could be made pretty easily.

I think the reason you don't see any aftermarket templates for these pups is that you don't see any aftermarket pups to put in 'em.

7. Speaking of templates........where could I have templates made from that clear plexiglass stuff? StewMac sells some. Who make those templates for StewMac? Somebody has to have the ability to create those perfect laser cut shapes. I'd like to have some custom templates made for my bass designs. That clear plastic stuff is the best.

Any ideas?

Nearly ANY larger size commercial sign shop has a router these days. Take them an .eps vector pattern and ask about having it routed from ½" acrylic. Get to know them and they might not even charge you.

8. Just wanted to see if anyone was kind enough to take up such an undertaking? Some of us would be very grateful. :)

9. I've just gotten a coupla new Kent Armstrong MM humbuckers. They are potted so they will scan nicely. I'll put 'em up tonight sometime.

10. Here's a coupla pieces of art that you can use for templates. Unforturnately the forum software doesn't allow 1:1 renderings if they are over 600 pixels in any one dimension so I've inlcuded a scaling device. Just enlarge the art to where the box is exactly 1" and that should be the right size.

The Jazz art is proper for Fender spacing and Fender American pups (larger bridge pup).

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    That is extremely helpful.I'm assuming they're 4 string Pick ups. Is this correct?

12. Yes

13. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    FYI: If you're looking for pickup drawings Bartolini has a PDF on their site with pretty much every bass pickup shape in line art.