Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

routing top end to guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thbass, May 28, 2005.

1. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have a preamp with built in crossover (Alembic F-1x). I was thinking of sending the top end signal to my ratty old ampeg guitar amp, but do not want to blow the speaker.

Any suggestions for a safe range of frequencies to send to guitar combo?

Thanks.

2. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    The lower end of a guitar is an octave higher than 4 string bass, so guitar amps are designed to handle frequencies that low. However, most guitar amps start to roll off before 82Hz (guitar low E), so if you want a solid bottom you are going to want to crossover higher. One note – it’s a tricky thing crossing over in the middle of the fundamental range. You’re going to get a very noticeable change in tonality across the range, but maybe that’s what you are looking for.

- John

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have done this before. Try crossing over at roughly 400hz. You will keep all the punch in the bass setup and the clarity in the guitar amp. Actually, I would run a full sound on the bass amp and just roll off the lows on the guitar amp. This is what I did. It worked better and sounded more natural.