1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Routing under a pickguard to lighten a bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Juniorkimbrough, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    anyone done this? I remember a while ago seeing a picture of a modified 70's Jazz where someone had done this.

I've got a bass which is downright awesome BUT if it were about 1/4 lb. lighter I would be able to play it much more. I've been thinking about this for a while wondering if doing just a slight bit of routing under the pickguard is a realistic option.

Opinions? pros and cons of doing this?

Is there anyway else you could suggest me making it a slight bit lighter without routing?

fwiw, the bass in question is a Lakland JO4.

Thanks

2. put aluminum hardware on it.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works

this is a trick question, right? :D

all the best,

R

4. pro: gets lighter
    cons: lose a lot of resale value
    alternatives: thicker strap, or as wilser said, aluminum hardware

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    :) Maybe I should have asked if anyone ELSE had done this before? ;)

6. Does't the weight of the solid body bass add to the sustain?

I say you shout hit um the gym once a week and tough it out.

On the other hand I imagine it would work fine, I just don't know if it's really somethign I'd do.

7. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    I would look at every other option before altering the bass with a router, you may take off your 1/4 lb and possibly affect tone, sustain, and maybe cause your bass to "neck-dive", and then you can't bring it back ever.

Just curious as to the 1/4 lb issue, why do you think that will help so much?

also...what is the current weight?

8. a 1/4 lb is not something you can really feel. How did you come up with that specific weight. I would first try wearing the bass differently, perhaps a different strap to make it more comfortable.

9. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Get a great big fat strap and it will feel like you lost 4 oz.. Definitely not worth chewing up a Lakland.

10. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    That's what I was thinking, oddly enough the wife brough home McD's tonight and brought me a 1/4 pounder, and I believe that is just the weight of the meat...I can't see that as being a very noticable difference.

I tried my buddys new Schector last week....that sucker is over 20 lbs. Luckily for him, he is 6'8" and close to 300lbs, but I could never play one that heavy...my lightest is 9 lbs, heaviest is 11lbs.

11. or why not just get a nice stool or somethin?

12. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    reason I say 1/4 lb. is because the bass is very body heavy and I think if the body itself weighed just a little bit less it would "feel" lighter because it would balance a little better.

fyi, I seriously doubt I'll do this I just wanted to hear some different opinions on it.

13. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    :eyebrow: You sure? That seems aweful heavy. Pics?

14. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    yea, good god man. 20 lbs? thats nuts. i heard the hideous claw is 27 but that makes sense. a 20lb shecter? damn.

15. My Schecter Custom 4 is lighter than my Fender Jazz

16. oh boy, schecters barely hit the heavy...they probably only feel heavy because of the strap...like my sx was digging into my shoulder with my cheap 5 dollar ernie ball strap, then i got a leather strap and all is well

17. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I've seen it done a number of times, no one can hear the difference until you tell them what you've done. I think you could probably get more than a pound out of a heavy body.