1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Routing.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eric Killinger, Nov 13, 2006.

1. I would very much like to get into building basses, except I lack the experience needed to do routing, how do you usually go about it?

I was planning on having this body

z_bass_front.jpg

But I dont know how to route, I know how to do everything else except that, where would be a good place to learn?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    As vintager said, there's a million pages of reading you can do just here on talkbass, let alone the rest of the internet.

A super quick summary:
    - Good routers will run you around $200, plus the cost of bits at about $20 each for good bits.
    - Routers are among the most dangerous shop tools if used incorrectly.
    - If used correctly, they can do nearly every step of the bass-building process.

For your first bass, you might just want to have Warmoth route it for you if you're getting a body from them anyway. It's a fairly small up-charge, and they'll do whatever pickup layout you want.

3. Yeah, thats what I'm gonna do, after I posted this thread I Just noticed th at they could do the routing for me.

4. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    true. i love working with router, it almost 'makes me trance' when everything goes smooth and fine, but you have to be damn focused.. it happened to me twice - i got a huge kick, messed my detailed work and almost broke my nose. luckily no rotating bit contact.

good luck !

mike

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I get scared of my router (loud and potentially lethal).
    Get/make good templates......get some nice ear dampeners (or plugs)....., or just have Warmoth do the routing for you. :)

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I absolutely love my Porter Cable router. It's my go-to tool for most everything. I'm also getting a Foredom Flexshaft :)hyper:) soon, and I can't wait.

Even if you do wind up having Warmoth do the routing for you, I would suggest getting a decent router anyways. They are beyond handy.