Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roxanne

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Is Sting using an acoustic upright for the original Police recording of ROXANNE?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think not.

3. I thought he used a '51 P-bass...

4. I didn't think he was...but I saw it listed on www.mysongbook.com as acoustic upright and it got me thinking.

5. I think he used his Jazz bass, possibly with flats.
    you can hear percussive muted pick clicks between the notes of the verse- also a palm-muted pick sound on the F>G G>F pre-3rd verse bit.

6. Thanks, Mock Turtle.

BigWig Will. Hey, that makes three of us in RI now. Unless you are the kid from Narragansett I've talked to before...

7. I believe he was using a fretless Fender P bass around then but it's hard to say for sure.

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Recorded at Surrey Sound Studios on a 62 Jazz Bass...... :)

9. Thanks much, Paul A. Finally got a right answer. That moley character sure wasn't any help. Geez.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He uses a '01 Ibanez Fieldy Signature Bass Pro2 head through an Aguilar Limp Biskit special Series magnum 2 Quatro Pro Deluxe.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

At least he gave the right answer!! ;)

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You what? What would you prefer... you want me to make it up? Or to just plain lie to you? I didn't know what bass Sting used on that record. I've got the album, and though I've not paid particular attention to the bass, I knew it wasn't an upright... Like Bruce said, I gave the right answer... what do you want?!? You didn't even ask what bass guitar he used...

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LMAO!

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What? :confused:

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You saying that Sting uses a Fieldy signature bass etc. is ridiculous enough, but the suggestion that he used on a record he made in 1977... :D

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've just had a look at the sleeve for "Outlandos D'Amour" (the album with Roxanne on) - the bass he's holding is a fretted. Can't tell if it's P or J.

17. lol. I knew I'd create a little of a stir if I left that message. When I saw "15 replies" when I just came here tonight, I knew something was up.