Roxy Music tribute band - viable?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SoCal80s, Sep 22, 2022.

1. I have a singer friend who has a great voice for Roxy Music songs. We're talking about starting a Roxy Music tribute band, but I wonder if that would be much in demand. They had 3 decent hits - Avalon, More Than This, and Love is the Drug. They have plenty of great songs, but I'm not sure if the other songs are known well-enough to put the band in demand. This would be in southern California. What is the TB wisdom on this?

GrapeBass likes this.
  2. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    Probably depends on the local market for it. I know it wouldn't work here in VA/TN, but in a bigger area with more diverse clubs and places... ? Maybe? I have never listened to them, I have heard the name plenty, but they were never big for my age group.

Tony In Philly likes this.
  3. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Tributes in general.
    First thing that crosses my mind is how much well known material have they got and how long do you need.

I'd expand it to include Brian Ferry's catalogue but even so, probably a pretty tough ask to sell.

4. It can work if you are promoting your band on the Party/Event circuit and the Roxy Music tribute is ancillary to your main act.
    For ex If you had a tribute to the New Romantics 80's Brit Bands (Spandau Ballet - Duran Duran etc) which is much more marketable you can advertise you are also performing as your Roxy Music Tribute & that may catch the eye of a Party planner who is a diehard fan of theirs.

You can obviously work in some of their songs and gauge crowd reaction.

I did this for several years in an Oldies Trio, the guitarist could do a very strong Fogarty persona so we advertised as a CCR tribute as well with some success.

TJH3113, bulldean, lovechick and 4 others like this.
  5. Yes, Ferry's solo catalog would be included too. Ferry did a lot of covers so some better known tunes can have a connection too.

GrapeBass and Chickenwheels like this.
  6. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Here's one data point: about a year or two after the music download site Napster was started, I seached it to see what bands were and weren't listed. Most of the obscure bands I looked up were there, including some surprising ones (Sparks???). No Roxy Music, though.

bulldean and SoCal80s like this.
  7. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    I don't think that Roxy Music is well known enough for a tribute band to have great success. They had a Black Crowes tribute band at a festival here and that didn't really work, either. They have about 3 songs that are well known by the average public.

8. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I personally have never heard of Roxy Music.

12BitSlab and wncBass like this.
  9. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Ferry was/is awesome. I pull him up on Pandora once in a while, but I wouldn’t think a tribute to him would work. Why not just include some of his best in your set lists and see how your audience reacts. If your singer can pull off Ferry, he’s got good pipes

10. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I agree, do his solo stuff as well - "Don't Stop the Dance", "Slave to Love" etc etc--some of those are as well known as Roxy's hits. Not sure about how viable it is here in SoCal, but probably better than some other areas. You're gonna need a fairly big ensemble to do it properly(or use backing tracks). Would certainly be a heckuva fun band to play bass in!

11. Yeah, some great bass grooves in those songs. A bit underrated I would say. That's why I would really like to do this project, but I also need to find other musicians and an audience that would have the interest too.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    For fun or for profit?

13. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Maybe in the UK where they were a much more significant band. In Southern California, you'd be best off playing half a set of their best material as part of a '70s/80s show.

14. For fun ...but rehearsing with no gigs coming in is not fun.

EdO. likes this.
  15. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You might consider expanding the scope to include other similar bands from the era that folks might be familiar with. Not sure who else might fall into that category...

bass12 likes this.
  16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The Santa Fe Springs Swapmeet once booked a UFO tribute band...UFO!

17. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    “Oh Yeah!”

SteveCS and Guitalia like this.
  18. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    There's SO very much more to the RM catalog than the smooth hits* and "Love/Drug," but that very much more has very limited popular appeal, if any.

If your band can nail the Country Life LP wire-to-wire, I'd pay to see you.

* You left out "Angel Eyes" and "Dance Away" from Manifesto.

matt-o-, rmayer, winston and 4 others like this.
  19. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Real question. What songs of theirs are known to the average person?

I’m a bit of a music nerd and I’ve heard of Roxy Music, but 100% could not tell you the name of any of their songs.

20. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Throw in some 801.

No Malarky, matt-o-, teh-slb and 7 others like this.