Rplacing broken tone pot vintage Peavey bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Aug 5, 2013.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Greetings, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 1993 Peavey bass amp. The treble tone pot is completely broken off, but the rest of the amp is nearly pristine.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but if I could get this little gem fixed, it would be a nice little practice amp. Can someone please help -- explain how I would replace the treble pot and how do I know what to buy? I don't even know where I'd get one.

Thanks! :bassist:

2. contact Peavey CS/Tech Services, they stock a lot of the parts and are very helpful.

3. Can you solder? Can you do basic mechanical disassembly? Do you have a decent soldering iron?

If so:

Step 1. Contact Peavey customer service and buy the new pot.

Step 2. Disassemble the amp to get to the pot. Typically this is the hard part.

Step 3. Remove the old pot. A trick may help here: I sometimes cut the legs of the old pot with a Dremel cutting disc, then I can desolder and remove the old leg remnants one at a time. The printed circuit traces are somewhat delicate so I don't want to try to remove three legs at once. I use desoldering braid, from Parts Express. Other folks use solder suckers.

Step 4: Solder in the new pot.

Step 5: Reassemble.

4. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks to you both! Ummmm now the dumb question. How would I know what pot to replace it with? It's for the treble control. Thanks!

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

That is where: "Step 1. Contact Peavey customer service and buy the new pot." comes in. They know what pot was specified for that amp, without service info we do not know. They are not all the same.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    This is exactly what I would write - excellent post...

FWIW, I've repaired a few amps in similar circumstances - including amps by Peavey, G-K, and Ampeg... I have a very good pair of flush cutting mini diagonal cutters, and usually have better luck cutting the legs with those rather than a dremel/cutoff wheel setup, but have done that too...

- georgestrings

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Now I'm feeling dumb. Great instructions. Thanks guys.

8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I just cancelled my auction for the amp. It weighed a ton to ship to Alaska~!!!!

9. Probably a wise move. Ebay descriptions tend to be...shall we say, optimistic? There could've been a lot more wrong with that amp than merely needing a new pot.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021