Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RPM + RBI Chained? RBI vs BDDI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by C-5KO, Sep 28, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    ???

Question 1: I just picked up the RPM in a trade, and I was wondering if anybody has chained it with the RBI? What was your opinion?

???

Question 2: BDDI vs RBI? I'm concerned about recording. If I get rid of my BDDI (which has sounded great going into Protools), I would like to get a new RBI in the studio (again, to go into PT). I'm just wondering if the mid knob is that big of a deal for me to sell my BDDI, and get an RBI. I know that my personal taste for tone, and sound, is something that only I can judge for myself, but I was wondering on other peoples experiences.

Thanks.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Yep! You can chain them together just like the RBI. There is a diagram in the manual that shows you the signal chain.There is a diagram online also I think. It's easy. BTW, I'm glad to see it made it there ok. Did it get stuck in customs?

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Found a few threads on Question 2: RBI vs BDDI, and it seems for obvious portability, the BDDI is better. For sound, they're pretty much the same.

Hmmm... do I need that mid knob? decisions, decisions.

4. Sometimes you do. Cutting two frequencies and then having a mid boost isn't the same as boosting the mids. Believe me.

I like scooped tones :smug: So I don't really mind.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the mid control on the RBI is nice to have, but not a huge deal. The reason I got the RBI is because it's a true preamp, whereas the SABDDI (which I also own) is a stompbox that can function as a preamp with some power amps. The RBI has many more options for connectivity, is rackmountable, and doesn't run on batteries.

To my ears the two sound the same when they are used the same. But players tend to use the SABDDI as a stompbox before an amp head (which likely colors the sound), and the RBI right into a power amp (which likely doesn't), so I understand why some might think they don't sound the same.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    It is nice when I take just my bass, and the BDDI, into our band studio and plug right into PT. But I don't mind having something larger that I can also gig with. So, it may be time to upgrade! :hyper:

I have checked out the manual for the RPM, and it looks really interesting how they have the two units chained together. I was wondering if anybody has heard the sound of them together?

73J: it arrived awhile ago. I sent you a PM, maybe it didn't get to you. Anyways, I haven't even had a chance to set it up. A disc in my back is inflamed, and I've been in pain for 3 weeks now. Only a few days ago, I was able to actually move my cabs from the front of the apt to my room. So, now, I'm getting it all set up. PS: can you shoot me some feedback for the trade? thanks! How's the mb-1 working out?