Tonight, I finally got around to yanking the frets out of my second Steinberger Spirit. It actually went very easily, with no need for heat or special tools. After some experimentation, I simply used a small screwdriver to gently pry the end of each fret up, and then gently slid the screwdriver blade under the fret next to the tang. Removing all the frets took less than an hour, working slowly and carefully. I experienced no chipping, crumbling or splintering. As it turned out, my frets had no evidence of glue. But, I found that I needed to score the edge of the fretboard at each tang, because my Steinie has a poly finish on the side of the fretboard. After a quick hand sanding with 320 grit to take off the worst of the high spots so I could test it, I slapped a fresh set of Status Graphite "Hot Wires" flatwounds on the thing, and off I went. Sweet! Next step: to clean up the fret slots and CA in strips of .020 styrene. Sand the fretboard to true it up, reseal the edges of the board with more CA, and shazam - cheap headless fretless!