Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RRRRRROOOOAAARRRR!!!! AHHH

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metalguy2, Jan 9, 2006.

1. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    This is just another venting thread!!! BTW

I have been playing for almost half a decade now. And I am (was I guess) trying to learn to sight read. And of course 1 or more things kept me from doing my practice sessions for about two weeks. Now that I am better and I feel like I can think. I go back to practicing. And the things I was reading before are exceedingly more difficult than when I started!!! AND I AM FED UP WITH IT!!! ARRGGGG!!!! ****!!!!!!

2. dude, sight reading is the simplest thing ever. What's hard is gaining proficiency.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sight reading can be frustrating, but only if you bite off more than you can chew. The only times I've ever been frustrated with it was when I'd either set my metronome too fast, or pick a piece that was way complicated. So you got started on a bad step, slow down, take a step back, think about it, and get going again.

Once you get moving, sight reading isn't that hard.

4. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    For me one of the best sight reading practices is to play with other musicians.

Have people over for a couple of beers or whatever and sight read with them. It makes a difference having another person or band with you.

Realizing that it is a process and not an event is important too. Keep at it, don't get down on yourself. Try to get better by little steps.

5. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I agree though..... it is simple once you get the hang of it... But from what I have experienced it isn't like riding a bike at all. I am just gonna have to start all over again.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow... so did I.

Greatest metal album title ever!

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am just starting to sight read too. What I am doing is every new song I learn, from now on, I write in music notation. This forces me to read, but its not overly daunting.

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you want to feel worse, Elementary school kids can read music.

On the bright side, it takes time to learn. Go play DB and learn it and then come back :D