1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RTA/white noise question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What programs do folks use to pump white noise into an amp or pedal, then read a RTA readout to check the EQ points?

Bass Gear Mag does this with all their tests, but I can't figure out what they use, and I've seen someone else do this to figure out what the Enhance knob on SWR amps does.
    I'd like to (i think) use an app on my phone to put white noise into a pedal, then a program on my computer to read the frequency response.

Any suggestions?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    For your purposes I wonder if you would want to use white or pink noise. I could see a case for either making sense.

I use the built-in noise generators in Logic and a calibrated electret microphone for doing room measurements.

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    For non-critical purposes, I have a 10-minute pink noise loop on my phone and iPad, along with an inexpensive RTA program on the iPad.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What's the iPad app?

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    RTA, by Studio Six Digital.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Check out Onyx Apps on the app store for the ipad and iphone. Spectrum Analyzer and Octive RTA are both very good. Pink and white noise generators are included.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I can send you white and pink noise .wav files if you like. each is 1 min. long
    PM me your email if you are interested.