Rubber bands on the nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BellBottomBlues, Dec 28, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Howdy,

As of last night I noticed that my A string rattles slightly when I hit it open. I have high action and I pluck the strings hard. I've had this bass for a little more than a year now, and I haven't changed the strings on it since I about got it (La Bella Jamerson Signatures) when I had it set up professionally. Aside from the odd maintenance the bass hasn't really been touched, just played a lot.

I noticed that when I put my finger over the A string behind the nut the buzz goes away completely. I've seen players place rubber bands behind the nut before, but I have no idea where to get them. Should I just buy a lobster and take the rubber bands? How do I get them on the bass?

Is there another way to fix this aside from filling the nut groove with super glue?

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Try detuning and retuning the string. I had this problem on my WAV EUB and this solved it. Or try putting a small piece of paper in the nut slot. Alternately, If you have a spare A string, put that on and see if the strings still does it. Could be the core of your A is going bad. I can't imagine that even a super heavy duty rubber band behind the nut would put enough pressure on the strings to push the A down.

3. Maybe the nut is wearing out or cracked. Especially if you play high and hard. Or maybe the A string has slipped up the tuner post? You may want to consider getting a new nut that sets the strings higher. If you do I recommend getting a bone nut instead of plastic or brass. As much as I love brass, my old fretless Precision had one, the bone is warmer and not harsh sounding like the brass. Plastic nuts blow....pardon the pun!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Johnny

4. I had the same problem, what it is going by what you did to solve it (i tried the same thing, the finger just behind it) and the problem is that there isn't enough downforce on the A string.

There is a couple of things you can do to solve it, the easiest is to cut your string slightly longer so you get another wrap down the tuning post so the A string aproaches the nut lower so it gets more downforce.

Another option is to add another string tree inbetween the A and E string.

Or if you need a REALLY quick fix then a dab of super-glue will do :bag:

5. Great advice! Good idea about cutting the string longer for an extra wrap.........I'll have to remember that. Good advice like that is why talkbass is a great website.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
    Johnny

6. I try my best :)

7. I heard this is how you neuter a goat. :)

8. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Just resting my finger on the nut eliminates the problem completely, I'm not pushing down. Its not a plastic nut, it was cut from a bone blank by my guitar tech at Mandolin Brothers. I'm going to try and loosen and then tighten the string see if that helps, I don't really want to change my strings. :p

9. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    That A string rattle is a common problem on Fender style headstocks....I would try the suggestion of getting a newset of strings and getting as many wraps ( on the A string) tuning post as you can. Most of the time this fixes the problem!!! If it doesn't you might want to shim the neck back a little.... (fenders are easy to set up! ) then set up the bridge.. this increases the break angle at the nut.... If you need any more help or advice feel free to PM me!!!!

Bill

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021