1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rubber piece on the stand at the bottom of my upright broke...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by halarryus, Jun 2, 2011.

1. halarryus

halarryus

Feb 27, 2011
    ... Now its just a pointy end that digs into my carpet. Does any one know how I can make a cheap new one or where I can buy a new one?

2. Crutch tip- available at most hardware stores.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    IMO crutch tips make your bass look like it's been to hospital and unless you know what you're doing they're not all that easy to fit.

You probably need a new endpin. Get a good one, it will protect your bass more than anything else you can do for it. You won't regret it.

4. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Cheap: Cork. Expensive (but worth the investment ; ) the Wolf endpin. It's round & rubber!

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Some basses at my school have some rubber cut from a tire. It seems to work fine.

7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Like war, religion, and political corruption, no matter what solutions are offered, crappy endpins/tips will persist to the end of time.

8. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I found out I don't like crutch tips on carpet at all. They grab too much. Still talking about basses here...

George

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Watch out for black crutch tips that leave marks on lighter colored carpets. Drug stores typically stock crutch tips in a variety of sizes. It doesn't have to be a permanent fix.

10. That's the approach I took, a new endpin. I bought a carbon fiber rod, and fitted a wooden dowel with a crutch tip to the end of it. But, buying a good one is a good idea.

I also have a black rubber disk with a seat for the endpin of a cello. A cello endpin rest. Just an idea that popped into my head, I've never used it for the bass.

11. the disk or "black hole" as they are commonly called,are o.k when seated but not too handy if you move around.
    as for crutch tips...they squeak and skritch so loudly on an uncovered floor,it becomes a distraction.

12. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Something worth asking: Was it a rubber tip that threads onto the endpin? Those usually consist of a rubber portion with a threaded brass insert. Is the insert still on the endpin? If so, it could be taken off to expose the threads, and a new tip threaded on.

A picture might help.

13. Mine is black(leaves no marks)& fits perfectly. I think you'd rather like it, aesthetically. :)
    That said, I'm having a hard time not just coming out & saying *You doghousers are as bad as the tonewood/best_____ for metal/4 vs 11 stringer plank-spankers.*
    I may give in.
    ;)

14. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I respectfully disagree. We're not as bad as those guys.

We're worse. :D

15. Well played. :)

16. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Replacing the whole endpin assembly to fix a simple problem like replacing the rubber tip seems a bit seems a bit extreme to me.
    I've rigged up a system consisting of 1" dowel, a 1" size cane tip, and it cost 6 bucks and works great. You just need to carefully drill a hole the same diameter as the metal tip, and maybe throw some rubber cement into the deal if you didn't get the fit exact. I lucked out I guess, and it just stays on.
    I have no idea why anyone would say it looks bad (it's black rubber, same as the $20 endpin balls I used to buy that lasted 3 weeks) and mine don't seem to make any noise regardless of what kind of floor I'm on. Different brands are made of different kinds of rubber/plastic though, so you might need to scuff the bottom with some sandpaper to make it work if it's that silicon-ey stuff that the cheaper ones are made of.