Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rubber string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dub-man, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Dub-man

Dub-man

Mar 3, 2000
    Greetings!
    I tested this Guild(?bad memory) very short scale rubber string bass yesterday. It was very fun to play and sound was awesome! Does anyone own this bass and what do you like it? it was so fun to play and tone was so good that I'm thinking of buying it. It costs about $500.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That sounds like an Ashbury Bass. DeArmond has reissued this bass and can be had for around $300.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The bass you were playing was an Ashbory bass. They were formerly made by Guild and are now made by De Armond.
    You can get a De Armond Ashbory for $299 from Musicians Friend. If the one you played was a Guild, then it is a lot more rare. I don't really know which brand is superior as I don't own one yet. I do plan to get the De Armond Ashbory sometime soon though.

-KB

4. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I've got both a Guild and DeArmond Ashbory basses. I prefer the DeArmond's pickup, preamp, tuners and tone but I prefer the look of the banjo style tuners on the Guild.

I bought the Guild off Ebay for $325 about 6 month's ago. I got lucky, they usually go for around $500.