Rubber turned to gummy goo. Help?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Never experienced this before and hoping there's an easy fix.

I have a BOSS Micro BR that I had in a case for several years. Just took it out, and the buttons and rubber around it have turned all sticky and gummy. So much so that if I rub my finger against it, it will smear onto the plastic. Comes off on my fingers too, and makes them all sticky.

If I use a paper towel it will only stick to it...

Is there a remedy?

Help?

Everything that looks rubbery has been effected equally:

boss-microbr-1.jpg

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Though a rare occurrence, at times Google can be far more helpful than Talkbass :) .

Alcohol wipes did the trick.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I was going to suggest trying that. :)

Joe Nerve likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    FWIW, "rubber" in German is "gummi", so "rubber dummy paratrooper" == "gummi poten fallschirmjager".

(been watching too many wwii movies lately!) ;)

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm just relieved this was about that sort of rubber...

6. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    The USB cable for my Gen 1 or 2 Kindle disintegrated after a few years. It just crumbled into small powdery pieces. Googled it and learned it was a very common problem. Whoever made the cable did it wrong, ie used a bogus formulation for the outer sleeve of the cable.

Probably not helpful but your problem reminded me of that.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Fundamentally no. I’ve been running into this at work (IT department) with a LOT of older peripherals from the late 00s/early teens. The plasticizer is just coming right out of the plastic. You can try wipes but that is at best a temporary fix.

The weird thing is that it’s very period specific. I’ve got plastics much older than the gear in question; they aren’t doing it. Those just get really dark yellow and more brittle with time, but they’re not turning into goo the way that quite a few of my mice (the device I see this happening to the most) and your recording box are. I hope this has been fixed by whoever made the plastics. I don’t need to deal with a couple of decades worth of useful stuff turning into puddles of goo.

It looks like it’s going to take ten to fifteen years to find out, though.

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Obviously, step one is email Boss.

If they offer no solution, maybe cover the buttons in cyanoacrylate ester (superglue/loctite) or epoxy and leave out in a ventilated area overnight?

I work with industrial platinum catalyzed silicone and when any number of things affect its cure and it’s left gummy I stick it in the oven at 150-200°F for 15-30 minutes and after it cools it feels like the rubber of a new all season tire.

It may be early for this, but I’m sorry for your loss.

9. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    i wonder if something like Armorall or other 'plastic rejuvenators' would help. ive run into this with some camera gear from the '90s. its not fun to use a Nikon film body that sticks to your fingers

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Nope. Tried it. Armorall just makes it sticky and slippery.

blastoff likes this.
  11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Hercules stands do this. The rubber weeps and then turns to mush. Never buy a Hercules product.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021