1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rubbery Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by e.maynard, Apr 21, 2010.

1. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    From Daniel...

"please thank everyone for the compliments and tell them that I only adjusted the tone slightly on the bass, towards the high end (you know, maybe 2 o'clock if 12 o'clock is flat eq), and that, unforunately, most of what they're hearing was done by Beck in post-production, so I can't be sure how he got the tone so fat and rubbery. The man is a genius. The original tone I was working with that day was closer to a classic Rick James funk bass tone."

:)

Daniel

2. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    old convo, but i'm compelled to throw 2 pennies in.

i totally agree.
    its as if Huey Lewis and Billy Gibbons made sweet dirty love in the studio and ZZ Top birthed us a few of cheese-rock mongoloids (after burner, especially).

"Goin Down to Mexico" off ZZ Tops 1st Album is some true old school blues rock.

3. I'm pretty sure I can get that tone with my VT Bass pedal, although it would depend on the particular signal that's pushing it (i.e., dependent on which bass I would use)

4. true!

5. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Man..... Back to the ZZ,

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    For what it's worth I got very close to that tone last night by cranking the input gain on my Mesa Walkabout and fiddling with the EQ a bit (slight bass boost, slight treble cut, passive mids rolled back, active mids boosted with the EQ point set fairly low) and playing near the neck with my Fender Jazz.